20 Miles & A Wedding I’ll Never Forget

Whew! The past couple of weeks have been crazy and this week looks like it won’t disappoint! Why so busy, you ask? Work is a million miles per hour, squeezing in training runs has been difficult and most importantly, my sister got married!

I was fortunate enough to take Friday off of work and head home to Reno (yes, I’ve been back to Reno a billion times this month) to help my sister with her big day. But before any of the festivities got underway, I was sure to get in my long run of 20 miles. The mid-week training hasn’t been going so swell (leaving for work at 7 and getting home past 7 doesn’t leave much time), but I am glad that I’m at least getting the higher mileage in on the weekend.

How did the 20 miles go? Well, it wasn’t easy. It was warm out, but nothing bad enough to warrant a bitch-fest, but it was the first time in a long time that I’ve put 20 miles in. I trucked along at a slow pace, but the point was that I finished and I wasn’t sore at all the next day. The legs were a bit tight, but no soreness equals a win in my book. I’m excited for my training this time around as there are many more 18+ mile runs scheduled, as opposed to training for LA where I only did one 20 mile run.

But one thing in particular did bother me about this run: my fuel belt. I learned during LA training that I absolutely must carry food and drinks on my long runs, but HOT DAMN, I feel like my fuel belt weighs an extra eight pounds! I can always tell that at the beginning of my run, when it’s full with Cytomax, water, PB&J sandwich bites, my cell phone, Gu and other miscellaneous running crap, I run significantly slower. But as I eat, drink and empty the belt, my pace picks up. Don’t get me wrong, I love my belt, it fits well, and only minimally scratches up my backside. I will continue to train with it, but when I’m attempting a BQ is Chicago, I’m afraid that it will significantly slow me down! So, I turn to you, my trusty blogging community: what do you do to ensure that you are properly fueled on your long runs/marathons without feeling like you are carrying an extra tire around your waist?

Mimosas and Manis!

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! Extremely girly blogging will commence now: After the 20 miles, my sisters, mom, aunt and I headed out for manis, pedis and mimosas…a great way to start the rest of the day and help celebrate with my sister. After that, we did the normal pre-wedding activities, i.e. shopping, rehearsal dinner, etc.

Next thing you know, it was the morning of the wedding, we were getting our hair and make-up done and I couldn’t believe that my big sister was actually getting hitched! She is the first out of our family to tie the knot and it was so surreal to watch it all happen….tear! She looked absolutely beautiful and it was honestly one of the best nights I’ve had in a long time. I cried, I laughed, I drank (maybe a bit too much), and danced my ass of like a crazy person. Congratulations Ryann and Eric, I’m so happy for you!

The happy couple

Me, my cousin and my two sisters

It was a fight to the bitter end.

This is how the lil' sis and I roll

It was a full weekend and this one is sure to have many more stories as well.  Happy running!

P.S. Thank you to everyone who submitted song for the ultimate running play list! I’ll be putting the play list together later this week so be sure to check back soon!

This entry was posted in Family, Training. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 20 Miles & A Wedding I’ll Never Forget

I love weddings! I have two coming up in August & september! training has been brutal this summer in the heat… i’ll be welcoming cooler temps with open arms! :) love the pics- you look fabulous!

2. Katie A. says:

My 16 miler didn’t go so well on Sunday, but I know I didn’t fuel well enough.
    I usually wear my iFitness belt with all my stuff in it – I don’t feel like it slows me down too much, and i carry a large nathan handheld. This weekend though, I ran out and had to stop and refill a few times – not sure if the the fuel belt carries more.
    I was just contimplating a fuel belt – I have never used one in the almost five years I’ve ran and 6 marathons I have ran/trained for. But now you have me curious.
    During a race and long training runs (he was at work this weekend), I often get my hubbs to sherpa for me on his bike, so he carries all my stuff, because I agree, I feel weighed down and I KNOW it slows me down. I BQ’ed with him on a bike next to me, it was super helpful. Maybe you could get chicken to ride with you? Just a thought…

3. Naomi says:

damn you pack a lot of stuff into that fuel belt! but i agree with you, it weighs a ton. would love to see a post summarizing all the feedback and suggestions you have for it.

and congrats to the sis! looks like it was a beautiful wedding!

4. I’m so glad you were able to get your long run in on a wedding weekend! Nice job! I have the same belt and feel the same way…it’s heavy at first but I need my fuel so I just deal with it. It’s nice as it empties!!!

Congrats to your sis!

5. I leave my fuel belt at home for races unless it’s a bagillion degrees outside I assume the water stations will give me enough fuel, etc. and I just use my short pockets to hold my gus. I do wear it though for training runs and just deal with the weight and discomfort.

6. Layla says:

I have that belt (in blue), and I have the opposite problem: I start to hate it about 10 miles into a run. It seems like the belt is squeezing me (only way to keep it from bouncing is to make it tight enough), and I just want to break free.

7. danica says:

You look so gorge :) Glad you had a great time and the sis got married. Can’t wait for your wedding. Oh the social media extravaganza it will be. Probably will even be on mashable. :) xoxo great job on your 20, we are 20 twins!

8. Juliane says:

A wedding and 20 miler? Wow, that’s pretty impressive! :-)
    Btw, those wedding photos are hilarious and cute, at the same time!