Yesterday on BART (the train that’s part of my daily hour and 15 minute commute), I nearly lost my lunch and discovered one of the best no-run excuses I’ve had in a while. Ready for it? (Warning: grossness to ensue)
I sat down in a wet seat. Yes, a full-on wet seat in the back of the train that one can only infer that someone “let loose” on. I damn near puked. You see, BART has fabric seats that are always filthy, so a dark spot on the seat isn’t anything to be worried about. I sat. I felt. I freaked.
Ok, ok, it wasn’t like pools on wetness just sitting there waiting for me, but it was a very damp seat. I had to wait 40 more minutes in pants that felt as if disease was latching onto my white blood cells faster and faster and I needed to take a scorching shower asap! But what was a gal to do? Istill had to vote and the clock was ticking down quickly…tic-tock-tic-tock…
I will admit, I considered going home to shower and seeing if I could then make it to the polls on time, but after a quick chat with myself, I decided to go to the polls in the grody pants and fulfill my civic duty. I connected those arrows as fast as I could and then immediately raced home and showered. But unfortunately, because of the impromptu stop at home to cleanse what may be one of the dirtiest feelings ever, I was out of time to get my run in for the day.
But I don’t want to let a wet seat derail my new training plan already, in fact, I don’t want any of the normal excuses to show their dirty little faces this go around. So, join me in purging all excuses! Here are some of my favs and how I can easily banish them:
- Too hungry to run. I’ll surely pass out on the treadmill and the running belt will eat away at my face… Don’t be stupid, eat a snack
- I’m feel bloated…Take some Midol
- My sheets are so much warmer…You’ll be warm and sweaty the sooner you start running
- It’s not even light out yet! If I go running now I’ll get attacked in the dark…Ok, this one is still serious. Be safe!
- I’m too stressed from work…Exercise relieves stress…duh
- I’d rather have a glass of wine…Well, after you work out you can have two
- The gym is full of meat-heads past 5 p.m….Meat-heads don’t run; hop on the treadmill and show them how it’s done
- Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…Get your booty out of bed. You’ll regret it later.
Instead of drag on with this list of incredibly lazy excuses, tell me, what is your go-to excuse that you wish you didn’t use so often?
Aaaaannnnnddddd…because we always need a photo with a blog post and I hate pulling Google images, here’s your random blog post photo of the day: an awesome photo of Queen Paula that Chicken Face snapped at the finish line of last year’s NYC marathon!
Good luck to all of the NYC runners this weekend and happy running!