Will Shop For Food

I could blame it on being sick. Or maybe on the fact that I am going out of town this weekend. Naah, I’ll just fess up…I have no freeeeaking food!

Yes, that’s a lone Smirnoff Ice…just waiting to “Ice” someone!

This current conundrum is quite the anomaly as I seriously have an obsession with grocery shopping and the refrigerator is usually packed with a combination of semi-healthy food for me and not-so-healthy food for Chicken Face. For some odd reason, wondering up and down the strategically placed aisles is almost therapeutic to me.

So yes, I’ll be out of town this weekend for wine tasting with my fabulous co-workers, but I’m already anxiously looking forward to grocery shopping on Sunday. Here’s where I’d love your help with:

1. What are your go-to healthy foods during the week (i.e. what should I stock up on)?
  2. What is your healthy treat that you can’t live without?
  3. What are your running fuel staples?

Can’t wait to hear what I should pick up next!

Thanks for your help and happy running!

This entry was posted in Food. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Will Shop For Food

1. Colleen says:

I usually try to keep some spinach in the fridge which I usually throw into my smoothies. Have you done that? I’m actually out right now, though, so thanks for the reminder to add that to my list!

2. Most of the time, we keep dry-roasted or raw almonds around. Good for getting a little bit of salt, plus the benefits of eating a healthy nut.

String cheese is common in our household. The portability and ease of eating make it a handy treat. The part-skim variety is lower in fat, but high in calcium.

A few Clif bars are on-hand for emergencies, but I recommend dividing these in half (as the calories add up quick).

3. Erin Evans says:

Fage yogurt is my favorite! High protein and so good. I get the 0% plain and then add my own honey when I’m home [more yogurt for the price]. Have a great weekend!

4. chacha says:

I generally always buy this stuff or have it in bulk if it’s non-perishable:
    Greek yogurt (breakfast), granola, bananas, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, soy milk, butt-load of seasonal vegetables (I’m on a squash kick lately), seasonal fruits, pasta, coffee.

5. Christina says:

These are all things you can buy just once a month to cut down on grocery store trips:

Whole wheat english muffins – freeze them and pull out a few at a time
    Tortillas – freeze them and pull out a few at a time
    Peanut butter
    Apples (they last longer in the fridge)
    Brown rice (cook it once a week in a big batch)
    Black beans (canned are easy for a quick meal)
    Hot sauce
    Cheese
    Pesto sauce

Then every 2 weeks I buy fresher stuff:
    Eggs
    Zucchini
    Yellow squash
    Mushrooms
    Onion
    Tomatoes
    Carrots

Toast eng muffin with peanut butter, and put sliced apples on top

For a pre or post run snack, I always have corn tortillas, cooked brown rice, and canned black beans – top with cheese and hot sauce.

Best ‘light dinner’ ever – saute a ton of veggies and top with pesto sauce and parm cheese! Just as good but so much lighter without the pasta.

6. shoeshoegirl says:

I too LOVE to grocery shop – the possibilities of what can be created from what you choose to put in your cart are endless!

Bolthouse Mocha Protein drink is a morning must have
    Skinny whole wheat bagels
    good cheese – whatever flavor, whatever form
    lemons

have an excellent weekend and yes – a phone date soon! xox

7. nicole says:

My go to snack lately is green peppers and fresh sliced turkey. it seems like every time i walk by the fridge i grab one to grub up on! yumm! i also have been on a salad kick along with different cheeses! mmmm… as for drinking, im a big grape propel fan! its so dang tasty!

I tend to buy generally the same things everytime I go to to grocery store:

regular foods:
    chicken breasts – frozen
    hamburger patties – frozen
    ravioli – frozen
    mixed veggies – frozen

Basically I buy almost nothing fresh, because I find it always goes bad. So I only buy frozen or things that go straight into the cabinet (non perishable)

snacks:
    granola
    bread and peanut butter
    oatmeal – and sprinkle in granola
    baked lays chips
    I also like trail mix sometimes
    fig newtons

running fuel staples:
    bread and peanut butter an hour before running
    muscle milk after
    clif bar – could be before or after
    power gel or gu during run
    cytomax during run too

9. Laura says:

“Semi-healthy food for me and not so healthy for for…” well, not Chicken Face in my case, but my husband too! On more than one occassion our grocery cart has contained all of the following: frozen pizza, pizza rolls and bagel bites. Yes, that’s basically every type of frozen pizza product.

10. Tara says:

I am currently obsessed with almonds that have a fun flavor coating on them…I am sure this makes their health points drop, but they are delish! I have been eating cinnamon-sugar ones and am in LOVE!

I love hummus with veggies or pretzels thins.

Greek yogurt is amazing and I love eating instant oatmeal with a HUGE spoonful of creamy pb in it for breakfast.

I eat black beans pretty much everyday. Toss them in a salad, burrito, or just with cheese on their own they are mighty delish!

11. mysocal says:

Too often my fridge looks the same way.

12. Naomi says:

my go to foods are:
    - oatmeal
    - bananas
    - yogurt with nuts (almonds or walnuts)
    - kiwi
    - blueberries
    - chocolate soy milk

i also make a fruit smoothie and an egg white omellette every day.

my healthy treats are either a square of dark chocolate candy or a couple of bites of froyo. i’ll buy a large cup of froyo, bring it home and freeze it. it usually lasts me about 3-4 days. a few bites is all i need to satisfy the craving.

and my staples is oatmeal. i can’t start the day (running or otherwise) without it. i’ve been eating bob mills steel cut oatmeal lately.

btw – i love reading the other comments!

13. Pingback: Will Shop For Food | Latest News And Trends