Hi, I’m Nicole from Runner Nic. I’m SO excited to be apart of Page’s guest blog posts while she is off getting hitched! From one bride to be to another, I wish you nothing but happiness and all the mushiness EVER on the most special day of your life! Congrats Chicken Face and Page!
What do you wear while running?
I often get asked what types of shoes, socks, shorts, tops, bras I wear when I’m on a hot date with the pavement. I’m happy to say that my running wardrobe has evolved over time. In high school when I first started running, I wore Mizunos, cotton sports bra, spandex, a cotton t shirt, and regular, no show socks.
Ya know the saying “The older, the wiser”? Well, I have proved that to be true. After high school and my two year hiatus from running, I decided it was time to start getting some better clothes. For my very first half marathon I splurged on some Reebock dry-fit shorts and an Under Armour tank top, both of which i still have (and both still in great condition — just *err* slightly small). Since then, my checking account has never quite been the same.
Starting at the bottom and working up! Since its summer, I’ll discuss what I like for summer running only…
- Socks: My toes are pretty much happy in whatever. Generally I wear Danskin socks from Walmart because they are A) cheap and B) work for me. I have splurged on the blister free socks but for whatever reason my feet seemed much happier in the cheapo socks!
- Shoes: After MANY and I mean MANY trips to SEVERAL different running stores, I have landed a pair of shoes that are comfy AND keep my sensitive injury prone feet happy as a clam! They are called the Nike Structure 14s. I’m on my second pair this year (I even found them on sale at www.runningwarehouse.com) and will continue to buy them as long as they are made! If you don’t know what your foot type is or what kind of shoe you want, I suggest visiting your local running store to see what works best for you!
- Shorts: My favorite go-to shorts are the Nike tempos! I’m obsessed and could probably buy a new pair every two weeks when I get paid. I have so many colors and designs, and I LOVE when they come out with new patterns each summer. Tempo shorts make my heart smile. If you haven’t ever worn them, I suggest checking them out, I promise they are worth EVERY penny!
- Sports Bras: Since I don’t have much to worry about in this area, I’m happy that Champion sports bra’s from Target work for me. I have 10 different ones and I only like the razor back for running. I have a few of the thin strapped ones but the razor backs work much better for me. I notice they stretch out over time so I make sure to get a smaller size so it lasts longer. I don’t think $16.99 is too much for a sports bra, especially since every once in a while they go on mega sale! Target=win
- Tops: Currently my go-to shirts are my pacer Nike tops. These are my favorite. Plus they brand match my shorts and I don’t feel all clashy.. 😉 I like how thin the shirt is and am obsessed with the two I have. I think one in every color is highly necessary except my checking account might disagree!
- Watch: I may be biased but I have a special relationship with my Garmin 405. Juanito the Garmito is his name and running with me is his game! If something terrible were to happen, I would replace him with another similar model. It works great for me and I would be LOST with out my Garmin… literally! If your on the fence about spending the money for a Garmin, get off it and go get one!
If I meet a weekly mileage challenge or other fitness goals, I reward myself with a new running item. For the past 55 days, I’ve either ran or walked at least 3 miles. Last week I took a step into Lululemon, tried on a pair of the run inspire crops and 5 minutes later they joined my rotation of running clothes. It was an expensive reward but I felt I earned it. I can’t WAIT for it to cool down so I can wear them!
Happy Running! Hats off to the bride and groom!