First and foremost, I wanted to say thank you for all of the amazing comments, emails and tweets you sent for my last post. Each time I read them it instantly picked me up in a way I so desperately needed. I ended up taking two days off of running and got in six miles today. Still tired, but making progress! So thank you so much for all of your kind words and support. What would I do without you guys?!
Now, where were we? Oh, yes, yes. In case you weren’t aware, FALL is right around the corner. Let’s pick our jaws up off the floor from utter disbelief and relish the cooler temperatures and all of the fantastic gear that comes with running in this season. Specifically, let’s gush about arm warmers!
The first time I saw arm warmers, I wondered what coo-coo would wear these when they probably just need to man (or should I say woman) up and bear the cold. However, when Oiselle reached out to me last fall about trying them out, I’m never one to turn down a new experience and I asked for a “fun” color. Perhaps it’s the ginger in me, but when a pair of orange arm warmers arrived in the mail, I was stoked.
So are arm warmers worth all the hype? What about the Oiselle ones specifically? Well, let me count the ways I love thee:
- The Oiselle arm warmers have thumb holes. I want to make sure you heard that right…THUMB HOLES! I have a slight addiction to anything that is miniature and has thumb holes so as soon as I saw this, I knew we were off to a great start.
- Since there are thumbholes, that means that the sleeve is longer and goes over your hands. No more need for gloves on those quasi-warm, quasi-cold runs.
- Don’t need the the thumb holes? Just role them up. Easy shmeezy.
- These specific arm warmers were perfect for my gangly-armed self. The length was long enough, covered a significant portion of my arm and fit snugly without feeling like a stuffed sausage.
- The elastic at the top of the arm warmers was the Goldilocks of all arm warmers…not to tight, not too loose, juuuuuuuust right.
Can you tell how much I love these lengthy, thumb hole arm warming gift to female runners of the world?! But, I always want to be honest with you, so here are my two other “eh” pieces of feedback:
- There’s a bit of reflective design on the sleeves, but honestly, I’m not too sure how much these actually “reflect.” So don’t base your entire early morning/late night running safety off of these “reflectors.”
- The thumb holes are FANTASTIC, but they also proved to be part of my Garmin catastrophe in Boston. The morning started out frigid and windy, thus, I brought along my arm warmers. But as soon as the gun went off, the sun gods lets their power be known. Because my Garmin was hooked on TOP of my arm warmers (I was using the thumb holes), trying to rip the warmers off along with my Garmin sent my baby flying backwards causing unnecessary frustration and backtracking. The lesson here is just to be sure to check the weather. If it’s going to heat up, DON’T use the thumb holes and just fold them over so you can simply slip them off.
TWO CENT RATING: 4.5 out of 5 stars! For $20 these arm warmers are not only cute, but smart and functional. Add a bit more “reflective” striping and you’ve got yourself a 5!
I just got word that the Oiselle arm warmers are out of stock (shows how much people love ’em), BUT, you can win a pair right here! Entering the contest is easy:
- Like the Oiselle Facebook Page and leave a comment letting me know you did so.
- Like the Twenty-Six and Then Some Facebook Page and leave a comment letting me know you did so,
- Follow me on Twitter (@Page) and leave a comment letting me know.
Note: Oiselle graciously provided me with a pair of complementary arm warmers. But as always, I would never promote something I am not truly excited about or do not believe in. All thoughts and opinions are my own.