Ironman Arizona

A couple of years ago, I wish someone would have told me that sometimes the risks worth taking are the ones that you’re afraid of the most. They are the risks that make you doubt yourself, shy away from the uncomfortable and you scurry away back to your comfy safe zone.

I found myself telling other people this, but not heeding any of my own advice. What a hypocrite. What the hell was stopping me from doing what I’ve talked about since the beginning? I had to take a hard look at myself and just admit it: I was afraid of failure, inexperience and all-consuming embarrassment. I realized that I can’t wait for the perfect time, or when I’m “experienced” enough — it’s never going to happen. It was the sad truth.

After swallowing that pill, and multiple discussions with Chicken Face, my family, coaches, and now even work, I’ve decided that enough is enough. Now was the time.

On November 18, 2012, I will swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles at Ironman Arizona.

IMAZ

Gulp – Today is Day One.

This entry was posted in IMAZ, triathlon and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Ironman Arizona

1. YESSS! I knew it! You tweeted something about signing up for a big race in the 18 min window span that registration was open for. I’m not a stalker, I promise. Good timing though.

I am so excited for you! I am thinking about an Ironman in the next few years but I need to find a time that will work while I’m in school

2. Wooo! You are going to kill it girl! Congrats on the big decision. These are the epic things that will change your life for sure.

3. Kimra says:

Dude, and I was excited to follow your 70.3 training? ;) This is awesome!

4. niki says:

omg!! so awesome!

5. Ashley says:

Ahh so exciting!! Cant wait to read all about your training

6. WOW!! Super bad-ass!! Can’t wait to read about your training. :)

7. Love it! You are going to rock it!

8. Ali says:

HELL YEAH! This is awesome!

Question: Will you be requiring a live cheering squad in Arizona?

Seriously though, that’s a sick goal. I’m psyched for you.

9. Megan says:

You are going to do amazing! :) So exciting!

10. Aron says:

I hope you know how proud of you I am for taking this leap!!! I am so excited for you and can’t wait to follow along. I’ll be one of your biggest cheerleaders along the way too and hopefully come race day! <3 ahhhhhh!

11. A couple of my training friends recently took the dive, ride and run to IronMan status. Can’t wait to follow your path. Swim, bike and run strong! Get em P!

12. The Blonde says:

Nice! You can totally do this!

13. Beth says:

So exciting!!! I look forward to reading all about your training!!!

14. Pingback: Weekly Recap: What Happens in Vegas… | runner's rambles

15. Marlene says:

AGAHAHAHGGH!! So excited/happy/pumped for you!

16. How exciting!! Good luck with training & can’t wait to read all about it!

17. Holly says:

So proud of you for being brave enough to pull the trigger. You’ll rock it!!! :)

18. XLMIC says:

Holy MarymotherofGod! This is amazing :) And to think I knew you when you were just a Santa-suited runner who yelled at foreign cab drivers.

You are such a incredible competitor…you are going to do so well :) Excited to watch the journey!

19. Maggie says:

Awesome!!! Good luck!! Hope training and the actual event are life-changing :)

20. Meggie says:

That’s awesome! Being a Ironman is ah-mazing. I can’t even fathom. You also need to buy all of the gear when you race it.

I’m pysched for you and to follow you along the way, but not in a creepy way.

I have a new appreciation for triathletes since trying to swim. Seriously, swimming 50 meters in a row is taxing. Ok, fine, it was my 2nd day trying. It does get my heart rate way up in about a minute though.

21. Monika says:

ooh ! I had a feeling you were going to go full a full IM after signing up for Vineman. Good luck with your training!

22. WHOOO! So exciting! I can’t wait to follow you through this training! A half-ironman is on my list for 2013 and a full is on the back of my mind, though I have trouble admitting that ;)

23. Julie says:

Oh my goodness, this is so exciting! Best of luck to you in training. I think now is a very wise time to do it, before you and your husband have any kids (if that’s in the plans). Anyway, so happy for you. Can’t wait to hear all about the training. I’m totally inspired!

24. Stacey says:

That is amazing, Page! My coach and friend is considering doing the Ironman next year, and was at it this past month cheering everyone on. Hopefully I will be there to cheer you both on next year! Best of luck with your training!

25. kimi says:

How exciting, Page! Can’t wait to watch your journey.

26. Kim says:

OMG CONGRATS PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCITING!

27. !!!!!!!! Congrats! I am so excited for you. Looking forward to hearing all about your crazy training! You are a rockstar!

28. Amanda says:

Whoa! That’s amazing! I can’t wait to read your training progress!

29. Amazing! Just discovered your blog this weekend…can’t wait to read about your training!

30. When I saw the Ironman logo on your FB page I got so excited! Congrats on being ballsy and signing up – can’t wait to hear more about the training process :)

31. Ally says:

That’s amazing!!! I have friends who did it this year and loved it. I live about 15 minutes away from where they do the swim/transitions/finish and I think it’s a great area to do a full!

32. Alyssa says:

YOU SO CRAZY!!! (Ps: Weeeeee!!!)

33. so exciting! Way to go Page! Can’t wait to read about your trianing !

34. RoadBunner says:

I had an inkling this was up your sleeve :) SOOOOO excited for you!!!!!

35. Sarah OUaL says:

So badass. Seriously. So.

36. Ellen says:

Sooo exciting!! Your going to kill it!

37. This is sO SO SOOO exciting. I can’t wait to graduate college, buy a road bike and get into tris! An ironman is high on my bucket list. You’ll kill it Page!

38. Way to take the leap! Congrats on taking on the new challenge!!

39. That is amazing!! Hulu has the 2008 Ironman World Championship, and I was tearing up at the end. Very inspirational!

Wow, no way! So that was what you registered for a couple weeks ago! I have no doubt you will destroy it!

41. Pingback: » Ironman Arizona Decision Factors Twenty-Six and Then Some

42. Lazy chick says:

Omg!!!!!!!!!! So excited for ya!!! Can’t wait it read about the training!!!

43. KMunoz says:

This is amazing! I’ve been following your blog for a few months now and you’ve been such an inspiration as I continue to train for marathons. I can’t wait to hear about your journey through IronMan training!

44. Rachel says:

YES!!!! someone to join me on the Ironman 2012 journey! kudos to you for taking on something that scares you – i felt the same way, but signing up was also strangely invigorating ; ) if you’re ever looking for a training buddy for long rides, etc, let me know! i’ll be doing IM coeur d’alene june 24th so our training will overlap a bit. so excited for you – GO PAGE!!

45. Laura says:

Those are some wise words Page. I could probably benefit from listening to your advice (not specifically about training/fitness, but in regards to life in general). Enjoy the adventure!

46. Brianna says:

I. Am. So. Excited. For. You.

You are going to rock this thing and will love the experience preparing for it! I can’t wait to follow your journey and cheer you on along the way. 140.6, baby!

47. Ahh! How exciting :) You will have such an awesome experience. Best of luck with your training. If you ever have any questions or just wanna chat about IM feel free to drop me a line :)