The New Tri Bike

Poor Chicken Face.

The money-saving optimist in him thought that I would be able to do an Ironman with my old bike. Sure it’s still a good bike, but I don’t think the ol’ black and white was made with an Ironman, let alone Ironman training, in mind. Sorry, babe.

In my quest for a new bike, I reassured him that I would find a bike that was under my budget ($1,500) and it would be some killer deal. It was time to unleash my inner extreme couponing craziness.

Here is what I was looking for:

- A quality, reputable triathlon bike

- Lifetime warranty

- Good deal

- Good fit

As you can see, I wasn’t looking for anything fancy. I’m a beginner triathlete and dropping money on carbon frames or fancy shifters is just unnecessary. Priorities people! Also, if you’re looking for the difference between a road bike and a tri bike, I won’t pretend to know what I’m talking about and instead point you to this article.

Search after search, I started to fear that my budget might force me into something along the likes of a Wal-Mart Huffy bike. Why are these things so damn expensive?! But then there was a break in the clouds and the bike gods offered up a deal I couldn’t resists. One of my running club’s sponsors, Livermore Cyclery, offered a club-only clearance deal on 2011 models and I knew this was my opportunity. Enter my new baby:

The Trek Speed Concept 2.5

If you’re really interested, you can see all of the specs here.

But I’m sure what you’re really wondering is what I paid for it (why don’t bloggers ever give the real details?). I got the bike for $1,300 (retails for $2,200) and it included an hour fitting (usually a $100 value).

Eric and Livermore Cyclery actually ended up spending two days, probably two hours each time fitting the bike perfectly to me, which was the most invaluable part. He answered all of my questions and made bike shopping/fitting a really great and welcoming experience. Plus, he didn’t laugh at any of my newbie questions!

DSC_5416

This is my post long ride look: gross hair, no make-up, Hello Kitty slipper socks and my Harvard track and field t-shirt. I like the look on people’s face when they ask me, “Whoa! You ran track and field at Harvard?” I just smile and nod. Suckers. Update: I did not go to Harvard, I just bought the shirt at the book store!

I still have a lot of work to do to get comfortable with the aero bars, but if you can’t already tell, I’m madly in love.

I just need to think of a name. Any ideas?

This entry was posted in cycling and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The New Tri Bike

1. Aron says:

She (he?) is BEAUTIFUL!!! Congrats on your new baby :)

And I know your extreme coupon/deal talents first hand, so I KNOW this was a deal ;)

2. Kimra says:

Echoing Aron, first we need to know if it’s a boy or a girl! Either way, what a beautiful bike.

(Also, what are your sweet blue bike shoes? I kind of love them.)

3. She is very feminine looking. I say definitely a girl!

4. Meggie says:

Its definitely a girl bike. I’m thinking something along the lines of a sea related name because of the aqua color – Ariel? Dori? Nemo? Wait I think Nemo was a boy.

If all else fails, go with “My Precious”

5. erica says:

I am so excited and can only imagine what you are feeling. My husband and I borrowed our friends to bikes and are taking them out Thursday to make sure we can it. I really want to race with a bike but need to get a good feel for it. Love your new bike!!! Erica

6. XLMIC says:

How about Spanky? ‘Cuz everyone is gonna get spanked by you and your awesome new machine :)

7. Christie says:

I want a tri bike SOOooo bad. I keep telling myself after my first HIM I will fork over the $$ for one. Good luck on your new baby!

8. Beth says:

Very nice! You will be spending LOTS of quality time with your new bike :)

• Adilceia says:

This is kinda away issue even so require some diotceirn from a well established blog. Your site offered all of us valuable details to be effective on. You have done any excellent career! I had been studying a number of your site content on this website and i also consider this site is absolutely informative.

9. Laura says:

love the last pic! you look so cute. GORGEOUS bike! super jealous!

And it looks like a Matilda to me. I am so random.

10. I am bad at naming stuff. Best thing about being biligual, I just name things with what it is in Korean. For example, my bunny was named Toki (which means bunny in Korean).

But that’s an awesome deal! And thanks for providing actual numbers. Now i know that an ironman is a serious monetary commitment.

11. I knew you were a smartie in that Harvard shirt. Bikes kind of scare me…I once went to a bike shop to ask what kind of recommendations they would have, and it was more a question of how much money I would want to spend. As little as possible was probably not the right answer…

12. Ang says:

I am currently starting down the road to triathlons (Ironman is in the back of my head=). I am signed up for a duathlon and sprint tri in about a month. I have had chronic injuries from way-high mileage (I LOVE to run) so I’m thinking some cross-training will help. BUT I currently don’t have a bike. I am looking for a road bike. Nothing fancy because I don’t know how much riding I’ll actually do.. but decent enough so I can really race. I would like to stay around $800-$900. Any suggestions? What is the model of your “old bike”? I am so clueless about all this. Anything I find for under $800 is very basic (and may be hard to sell if I decide to upgrade). And anything midline is up near $1300. I appreciate any advice! You inspire me!

13. Rachel says:

i know i’ve said it before, but i’m so jealous you bought this bike! my goodness i lusted over it for months! i scored a pretty sweet deal on mine as well, although i ended up paying $2,200 for the bike and then a few hundred more for accessories. HUGE investment, but so so worth it!

have you named her yet? i’m still working on one for mine!

14. Jamie says:

I’d reccomend the name “Sky”. I was looking at the same bike for a while-couldn’t afford it though :-( and that’s what I would’ve named it. Beautiful bike! :-) And happy for you for getting it at such a great price! P.S. Your blog is my favorite running/fitness/triathlon blog out there! :-)

15. Pingback: » Naming My Bike Twenty-Six and Then Some