Ironman Arizona: Week 15

Hello fellow blog-readers, tell me something: are these weekly recaps helpful at all?

I want to make sure that this blog isn’t just a place where I blab on about the trials and tribulations of my personal training, but instead has some sort of value for anyone who spends any amount of time here. If there are specifics you’d like me to post or questions you’d like answered – I’m all ears!

Now on to the weekly recap!

Mon., 3/12: Swim

As my base training increases, I see a consistent theme: the swimming main set getting larger and larger, and it begins to freak me out. But once in the pool it’s more of a mind game than anything: take one set at a time and keep on, keepin’ on. That’s exactly what I did with this workout:

WARM UP:

200 FORM (15"RI)
2 x 50 FAST (15"RI)
***1′ REST***
500 EASY

COOL DOWN:
2 x 50 Non-Freestyle

I also had a p.m. run scheduled, but my legs still needed a little R&R fresh off the heels of this bad boy and Coach Paul recommended that I rest.

Tues., 3/13: Run

One day later and I was back on the run, this time with my second aerobic efficiency run marker. After a warm-up, run exactly 1.5 miles on a flat terrain and aim for my specific heart rate. Time that 1.5 miles and use your results as the marker. The good news is that my run improved significantly from the last marker and put a little pep in my step. 5.2 miles in the books.

This week I also had my first Shakeology. I think there’s potential, but this recipe wasn’t my favorite. Has anyone had the strawberry one?

Wed., 3/14: Swim

Look! Another marker workout! This time it was an 1,800 meter swim with a 500 marker. While I thought I was feeling good, I went back and compared marker times and I only improved by three seconds – which I consider a wash. Mental frustration at its finest.

Thurs., 3/15: Rest

Fri., 3/16: Run

Because I opted out of my Monday run, Coach Paul plugged it back in for Friday. Rest assured that quarter mile repeats at the gym, where it feels like they refuse to turn on the AC, is a fool-proof way to feel like you’ve gone swimming in a pool of your own sweat. Awesome.

beer crawl

Friday night included a St. Patrick’s Day beer crawl in the rain, but my tired ass was headed home by 9:30…and you thought I had a social life.

Sat., 3/17: Cycle

Aaaaand because I missed my Wednesday night ride because I was working late, I had my first trainer date with my new bike (no way I was putting my baby in the rain). An hour on the trainer with entertainment provided by Smash. As much as I want to, I just can’t quit you, Smash!

The aero bars hold the remote perfectly – excellent!

Sun., 3/18: Bike/Run/Bike/Run Brick

Ah yes, my first double brick and the day I learned to loathe the wind. 35.5 mile bike, 2 mile run, 34 mile bike and finally a 2.7 mile run. Let’s just say I was pretty useless for the rest of the day.

lazytweet

I closed out week 15 with:

9 hours and 27 minutes of training (my longest week yet):
4,265.1 yards swimming
84.5 miles cycling
16.9 miles running
15 minutes core strengthening

This entry was posted in Weekly Recap and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Ironman Arizona: Week 15

1. Corey says:

I always wonder if people find me posting my workout logs helpful too. But yes, I do like to read these and see what the training looks like for different people training for varioust races. I also like to read your commentary to see how your training is progressing, etc.! Maybe I am a little bit of an endurance nerd though :)

2. Tara says:

I have a question for you! How — with all of this training — do you actually find time to clean the house, go grocery shopping, prepare dinner or any other meal, walk the dog, do laundry, pay bills, pack up and prepare all your clothes and other ____ that you need to bring to the gym? And, more importantly, how do you do all of that without falling asleep at work??? Not quite sure how you do it!!!

3. Kimm says:

I do think these types of posts, are useful not just for the reader who may or may not also take part in the same sport. But it’s also away for you to look back and see how far you’ve gotten.

4. Amanda says:

I always wonder the same thing. I actually love your weekly updates about your training. It gives me some ideas on things I can do in my own training!!

5. emily says:

1) Yes please on your training recaps.

2) LOVE SMASH.

3) Another super solid week of IM training. You go, as always, girl.

6. [email protected] says:

Your new bike is beautiful. YES, keep doing these recaps…you motivate me. Your Sunday workout made me out of breath just reading it. I have been wanting to try out Shakeology!

7. Beth says:

What a great week! SO much swimming! I love reading the workout recaps; it allows me to live vicariously through you. Also, I watch Smash on my bike trainer, too. No shame :)

8. marlene says:

I love the recaps! My weekly training summaries always seem to get the least interest, but there’s gotta be somebody out there who likes it, right??

Awesome week and holy, that double brick is INSANE! Good work!

I also like to read the recaps and I’m glad you asked since I do a weekly recap too! I started them mostly for myself because I want to go back and look at how I did/felt and how my nutrition went each week.

I have tried Shakeology strawberry (I’m a Beachbody coach)! Personally, I HATE the greenberry one so strawberry is much better for me. The chocolate is probably my favorite too – it’s thicker than the strawberry so it’s more filling. I’m assuming you know a Beachbody Coach but if not, let me know and I’ll send you my link :)

10. The only thing keeping me out of tri’s is the cost of a bike! Your new ride looks AWESOME.

11. Meggie says:

I wish I still knew what these swim abbrev meant….

Did you decide on a name for the bike?

12. Rachel says:

honestly i post my weekly recaps more for my own benefit. i know i go waaaaay more into detail than anyone else cares to read, but it’s nice to be able to get it out and be able to look back not just on the logistics of the workout but also how i was feeling, etc. plus, you only get one first IM experience and i want to document it all!

i for one really enjoy reading your recaps, mainly because we’re on a very similar adventure and it’s nice to know i’m not alone and not doing everything wrong! good job this week!

13. Pingback: Run. « ShoeShoeGirl's Blog

14. Lena says:

I really like reading your weekly recaps and love your blog! I am training for Ironman Arizona also and it’s great to read how training logs of other people. Good job on your training!

15. I love your recaps! Keep them, keep them!

They are so motivating and I’m sure they help you keep track of your awesome workouts!

16. Kathleen says:

I actually like the greenberry Shakeology, but it’s the only one I’ve tried. I throw in half an avocado and a tablespoon of almond butter, plus ice and water into my food processor. I let it go until the ice has been completely blended and the consistency turns out smooth. I find it pretty tasty :)

Yarrr, I love reading about how the training is going. The Ironman is such a physically & mentally taxing event that it really helps to see what other people are thinking and feeling through all of the training!!! Rock onnnn!