The Wetsuit Makes It Real

A runner purchasing a swimsuit is strange, but doable. I buy swimsuits every summer. Buying a suit to “train” in is just the same, except that they are…well…uglier.

A runner investing in a bicycle is nerve wracking, but fathomable. I learned how to ride a bike when I was younger with my dad holding my pigtails while I was sans training wheels. Buying a bike to “race” on is just the same, except that they are…well…infinitely better and more expensive.

A runner purchasing her first wetsuit ever and squeezing into it is…HOLY CRAP THIS IS REAL!

You’d think that putting down thousands for a bike would be the factor that made you stop and think, but instead it was when I squeezed into my first wetsuit and simulated swimming on the couch for Chicken Face. He didn’t quite get it, but it was a solid kick in my own pants reminding me that my first triathlon is in May and my half Ironman is in July!

“Hey Chicken Face, can you take a photo of me for the blog?”

“Sure.”

“Um, what do I do in this thing?”

Enter awkward wetsuit posing – I challenge you to come up with a good pose while in a wetsuit. Even Angelina Jolie’s right leg couldn’t do it.

IMG_5729

IMG_5728

IMG_5727

Now that I’ve completely shamed myself, my dirty apartment, and my lack for online dignity, tell me, what was the one purchase that you made realize this is real.

This entry was posted in triathlon, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Wetsuit Makes It Real

1. Rachel says:

haha i like the last one! i have yet to actually buy a wetsuit. my work rents them out so i’ve always just borrowed.

for me, it was definitely the bike! that was also the biggest purchase i’ve made…ever. ha!

2. veganrunningdad says:

Don’t forget to invest in some Tri-slide, body glide, or some other lube. Slather it around your neck, shoulders, wrists, and ankles. Don’t want to get a nasty hicky from your wetsuit! :-) Have fun!!!

3. Kimra says:

Mine was the wetsuit too! A bike theoretically has other uses in my life, but a wetsuit? Pretty much only getting used for triathlons.

4. Emma says:

Definitely the wetsuit for me too! Haven’t tried posing in it tho.. have to try that :)

5. Gosh, I haven’t really purchased anything athletic that makes me feeling like “this is real.” I have, however, thrown down several thousand dollars within 2 hours of seeing an apartment in New York City to secure it for myself. And THAT definitely felt “real” … and absurd. ;)

6. Craig says:

When I was buying winter shirts, gloves and a hat for running through the winter, I thought I was crazy.

7. Monika says:

Wow you bought the expensive one! I have the vortex with the yellow X that was on sale several times. I have a sleeveless and full sleeve. Its hard to decide which one I look hotter in. NOT.

8. Jeff says:

OK, now that it is real, when are you heading for Shadowcliffs for a test drive? The water temp is up to a balmy 60 degrees.

9. Nice suit- looking good!
    Do you feel hardcore now? I know I do when I’m squeezed into mine!

I feel a little like Cat Woman in mine!!

11. Congrats on your new investment! I always get so freaked out when I see wetsuits hanging up in a dark bathroom- always for a split second, I think they’re a person hiding! haha

12. Meggie says:

CAT WOMAN. You look so professional/official.

When I bought running books and/or got a coach, I did do several double takes thinking, “Who am I and what have I done with that girl who doesn’t like running?!?”

13. You are so cute! I love your blog and your pics in the wet suit are adorable!

14. katie says:

we have the same wetsuit. this means good things.

15. You are really excited with that event, huh? I like your picture in the last part. :-) Good luck for your career. I know you are enjoying. :-)