I feel like today is the beginning. In fact, I feel like it’s the beginning of so many things and the perfect time to reassess where I’m going.
Lola clearly thinks we’re going somewhere…
Today is not only the start of my new job, but the start of being 100 percent purely focused on Ironman Arizona. It’s not just about learning the pure basics anymore. Nope, it’s now time to focus on taking it to the next level, building endurance and not forgetting to enjoy the journey along the way.
While Vineman was amazing, it was also extremely humbling as I have a lot of work to do. Couple this with my returning knee and hip pain that has forced me to take two weeks off of running, and selling my bib for an upcoming half that I was supposed to do, I need to get my act together. There’s 111 days left and it’s time to get serious. Consider this my non-swimming/biking/running IMAZ resolution list.
Today, I vow to…
- Stretch & Roll Daily – This one is perhaps the most obvious but also what I am guilty of rarely being consistent. Cuff me, officer, because my blatant disregard of what is so elementary is a serious offense.
- Yoga – In conjunction with my resolution to stretch and roll daily, I know from past experience that I run my best when I incorporate yoga. Thus, I’m vowing to do at least one yoga session per week. This could be an hour or even 20 minutes, but whatever it is, I just need to do it. Ommm…
- Weights – After stupidly Googling my injuries (seriously, I tell people not to do it, then I do…) I’ve self-diagnosed a case of runner’s knee. Treatment looks to be rest, RICEing (rest, ice, compression, elevation), and strengthening the muscles in your legs to support certain muscles and joints. Again, another no brainer. Like yoga, I want to get in at least two leg and core strengthening sessions per week. This too could be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, but I’ll talk with my coach to determine what’s best.
- Hydrate – If you count my multiple cups of green tea per day, my water consumption isn’t that bad. But I know I need to keep the fluid intake up and will aim to chug an additional bottle per day.
- Multi-vitamins & Glucosamine – I may have a serious case of the placebo effect, but I could give two hoots. Whenever I consistently take my food-based multis and glucosamine, I swear my hips feel better.
- Friends – The thing with training and commuting, I had zero time. But now that my commute has been cut from an hour and fifteen minutes each way to fifteen minutes (oh snap!), I’m going to try and be a better friend (i.e. be around more often). As IM training increases, I realize that it may be tough, but please hang in there with me. When you had friends like these two ultra-marathon ladies, you can’t help but want to be around them all the time.
Obviously there are swimming, biking, and running goals that I have as we inch towards IMAZ, but I feel like these will help keep me physically and mentally together. So with that in mind, let’s get to work, shall we?
What other goals do you have to not only maintain your sanity, but your health as well?