#AnkleWatch2012 Update

First and foremost, THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your support, tips, tricks and kind words. You have no idea how much they mean to me as I continue to struggle through this. You guys are the BEST!

But, if you are sick of me talking about my ankle, welcome to the party, I am too. Sadly, it’s the only thing that’s on my mind right now, thus, it’s what I’ll be blabbing about until next Monday morning because Ironman Arizona is ONE WEEK AWAY TODAY!

So what’s the status on #AnkleWatch2012? Well, a lot.

IMG_7822

Trying to stay positive.

I immediately stopped all training and worked from home for two days, making sure to RICE, RICE, RICE! With my ass firmly planted on the couch, I began to feel like a slug and decided to go into work on Friday, equipped with my ice pack and trash cans propped up enough to try and elevate my leg. Later that afternoon, my aunt brought me my cousin’s crutches so I could try and stay off of my foot as much as possible.

By Friday, I could put weight on it, but when I did the full walking motion, I could feel a twinge in my back heel. My amazing chiropractor was able to fit me in late Friday evening so I rushed over as soon as I was off of work. I trust him more than any other ortho doc I have been to (overcharged x-rays and rude bedside manner, no thank you) – he was also the one who helped rid me of all my knee problems, so let’s hear it doc!

The diagnosis: a sprain and a strain, and yup, there’s a difference.

Strain: stretch or tear of a tendon (think “t” for strain and tendon). Tendons connect muscles to bones.
Sprain: stretch or tear of a ligament. Ligaments connect bones to bones.

So, I messed up a tendon and a ligament, but I did not tear or break anything. Fabulous. But the good news is that my doctor thinks that I’ll be able to make it come race day – albeit much slower – and that has been quite the pill to swallow.

I’ve been training for a year for this race and as I grew, I began seeing stars and certain goal times. In fact, I had quite an ambitious secret goal time that both my coach and I thought I could achieve pending perfect race day conditions. But now, things have changed and I struggled accepting that.

I’ve trained so hard and was capable of an XX:XX finish!
I’ve never been one to race just to finish – I always have a goal!

I cried, had a massive meltdown in front of Chicken Face and couldn’t to accept this.

I kept asking myself, “Why? Why? WHY?!” over and over again.

But then I had to snap out of it because this, my friend, is not the end of the world. Far worse things could have happened, and far worse things DO happen. This incident is truly unfortunate, but for whatever reason, this is the hand I was dealt. I reminded myself once again of my dad’s motto, “It’s not what happens to you, but how you handle it.” Yes this is not ideal, but considering that my doctor believes that I’ll even be able to race I chose to change my mindset and consider it great news. I am continuing on with life as if race day WILL happen (minus the training) and trying to be as positive as I can while babying my ankle.

IMG_7848

I dropped off Dora (my bike) and gear back to be transported to IMAZ.

IMG_7854

I got a pro-race mani/pedi to match my bike!

So, if this race does happen, it just means that this race will be something very different…which leads me to this little blog.

Blogs are fantastic for so many reasons – the support, the friendships, the inspiration. But they’re also a mental trap in that often times you boast about all that you are going to do and then shit hits the fan and you feel like a fool. With that being said, I know I need to run this for myself and not anyone else. I need to forget about achieving my goal times so that I can report back on them, and instead race to be strong, healthy, and honestly, just to finish. For those tracking my times come Sunday, no need to do so. This race is no longer about how fast I can complete the race, but has morphed into just finishing. If it’s a 16 hour and 59 minute finish, I’ll take it, because it’s a grand finish in spite of all that has happened and once again, it’s about the journey rather than the goal. I’ll get my goal time on the next one ;)

Thank you again for all of your support and please keep sending those good vibes – the ankle needs them!

This entry was posted in IMAZ, injury and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to #AnkleWatch2012 Update

1. Mary says:

Hi Page. I’ve been reading your blog for a few months and this is my first time commenting!

I’m sorry that you’re injured and that your goals had to be adjusted, but no matter how long it takes you, you’ll still hear Mike Reilly say those 4 magic words when you cross the finish line: You Are An Ironman!

2. Holly says:

I was never going to track/follow you for your time but for your ambition to conquer an IRONMAN event! You will prevail and we will be with you every step of the way.

What you are attempting is incredible! I am a marathon runner who just started tri’s this past summer. You inspire me!

3. RoadBunner says:

My friend posted this in regards to marathon running:
    “Success depends on how well you handle Plan B. Anybody can handle Plan A.”
    ―Jim Sullivan & Edith Widder, NOAA Ocean Exploration

I’ll be crossing my fingers and toes that your ankle gives you minimum issues. It is horrible timing and you’re justified in being frustrated, but you have a good attitude about what this means for you. I’m hoping some race day magic will minimize the issues you’ll think you’ll have. All those endorphins and adrenaline count for something!

4. Lazychick says:

Page, I totally admire you. This is not easy to deal with. I know you worked so hard all this year. The panic attacks with open water, the clipping on a bike, getting loss on long rides, bricks etc. but roadbunner nailed it, I admired you for all the training, sure, but it’s how you dealt with plan b that makes you my hero. We will be supporting and cheering you all the way. Hang in there!

5. Colleen says:

This sounds like really good news! I bet you’ll be up and running super fast in a week and that you’ll still do an amazing job even if it’s not quite as fast as you would like. I’m so excited for you, just enjoy the day, you’re going to love it!!

6. Stacey says:

Page-you were the first running blogger I ever read. I stumbled across your blog when I did a Google search looking for good running songs. Since then, I have started religiously reading healthy living and exercise blogs, and expanded my own blog to include my training and running. You are an inspiration, and no mater how fast you finish IMAZ, you will still be amazing to me! I am going to try and go before and after work next weekend to support you and a friend of mine who is doing his first Ironman. Good luck Page!!!

7. Roserunner says:

Don’t worry about your readers tracking your race or reader expectation….we read because we like following you and your athletic journey. This is just a part of that journey.

I’m proud of you for handling this so well! I know it must feel like the end of the world, so kudos for being able to see beyond that at this stage

I love the mani to match the bike! I painted my nails to match my run outfit for the Ironman- it’s the little things!

You have handled this so well. I am the same in that it’s really hard for me to just run a race to finish but at the end of the day, there are probably 5 people in the world that actually care what your finish time is – everyone just wants to know that you FINISHED! When people who vaguely know what an Ironman is ask me how long it took me they are just shocked that I exercised that long…and they have no idea whether or not it’s a good time. I know for yourself you want a certain finish time and I totally understand why you’ll want to do another one to get that time ….but in the end, the finish line is such a small part of the journey! You are incredible for even training for an Ironman in the first place!

You are gonna rock it, bum ankle or not. I can’t wait to cheer you on from afar!

9. Monika says:

Never under-estimate the healing power and magic of a good manicure ;o) jk And I still love that quote from your dad. So true, so true. I’ll be thinking about you next weekend. Hope to see an endless stream of pictures of you smiling throughout the whole race as you become an IRONMAN!!! (read that in the booming Mike Reiley voice)

10. Page, I was checking back every hour to see if you’d written. I’m so happy for you that you’ll be able to race. With that said, I’m sorry you can’t go out there and RACE it like you’d trained to do. It’s really inspiring to read about your struggles & how you deal with them so positively. Best of luck to you!

11. Christy says:

Page, I’ve been reading your chronicles of IMAZ training for months and have absolutely loved every post! I’m sending you fast, healing thoughts and hoping you get to that Starting Line and have a fantastic race! Good luck!

12. Michaela says:

I’ll be rooting for you and your ankle, no matter what speed you’re going! You will have a great race — enjoy the experience and use it as a learning tool for your next Ironman. I’m sure you’ll be back out there again soon, and I’m sure you’ll be at Kona before you know it. ;)

Real bummer about the ankle again. If your doc said you can make the starting line, that is great news. I figured that you would be able to make the starting line, but that is good to hear confirmation of that. Maybe tape it up with KT tape or something for stability. About your goal time, that is bummer that you have to shelve it. But even if you run a marathon that is an hour longer, you still will end up with an awesome time. And there will be another ironman for you to destroy in the future.

14. J says:

First – I love the new blog look! So cute! And keep your head up about the ankle/race! I know you will still do well in the race. You are an amazing athlete and hopefully the rest and ice will help you heal up VERY quickly!

15. I’ve been waiting to read this good news! I am so happy you’ll still be able to do the IM.
    It still totally sucks, especially with all the work that you’ve put into it. BUT, you still will be able to do it! Both IMs I’ve finished, my goal has seriously been to finish within 17 hours. Even if you’re at peak training, you never know what your body will do out there.
    Love the nail polish- makes me excited to see photos of you and Dora out there!

16. Lisa Beath says:

I’ve been following your blog over the course of the last 6 months . Enjoy the day and to finish will be a masssive acheivement. I’m in training for my second IM and injury has me out of the water at the moment, if I can get to race day and start I will be over the moon.

Enjoy the day, enjoy the finish line.

17. Leslie says:

HI Page—I started reading your blog when I saw that you were training for IMAZ! I’m also doing it! AZ will be my third. I’m so sad that you rolled your ankle! I feel like i have been on the brink of getting sick since I started taper! I hope your ankle is better on sunday! I wish you all the best of luck!! Have a great day and enjoy every minute of it!!!

I love the new look of the blog!!!

18. I love your blog’s makeover! How pretty. And as far as your ankle, I’m so sorry. I’m glad you’re still going to be able to do the race. At least it didn’t take that away from you. I’ll still be cheering you on, and no matter how fast you go you’ll still be able to call yourself an IRONMAN!

19. Meghan says:

Hi Page- I have been reading for awhile and just wanted to say that you are a huge inspiration. I’ve enjoyed following along in your IMAZ journey and just wanted to say good luck and that I am sending you lots of positive thoughts about your ankle. You’ve got this! I can’t wait to read about how the race goes. Good luck!

20. Judy Corbett says:

Where do you live? I am working with a machine, ARP Wave Technology, that searches out the root cause of pain and destroys and fixes it. Had a young boy that sprained his ankle and could not walk on it. Came in on crutches and left walking. His doctor couldn’t believe his recovery!!

21. Jeanette says:

I’m sure you’ll still do great, Page! What a great outlook on life. Love your Dad’s motto. Excited to see photos of you completing the IronMan!!! :)

22. I have loved loved LOVED hearing your journey through triathlon/ironman training, and I am sending every single nursing healing thought your way! I can’t wait to track you no matter what the pace, and I’m pretty sure you’ll be hearing me screaming for you all the way from NYC…heal ankle, heal!

23. LOVE the new look for the blog!! And, LOOOVE the color you chose for your nails!

Keep hanging in there… the doc’s sound optimistic! You’ve worked SO HARD and are SUCH a huge inspiration. These things have a way of working out. I think you’ll suprise yourself at just how great you do. GOOD LUCK!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it after you’re officially an IRONMAN!!!!!!