A Reason For Everything

I’m happy to report back that all of the Kinney Multisport team demolished Ironman Arizona, including a few stellar PRs. Congrats to the team – I tracked you online so much that it’s probably creepy. You are all awesome and continue to inspire me! So much so, that this is my new motto:

fall

Image via.

The ankle is getting better, but still swollen. I started physical therapy and will go twice a week for at least six weeks. I was told to still stay off of my leg unless I’m doing regular activities. Any long distance walking needs to be on crutches and I need to wear my ankle brace, compression sock and supportive tennis shoes all the time.  Despite some workplace fashion quandaries (tennis shoes and slacks? Ack!) and not being able to do any workouts on my feet (hello upper body and core), it’s going as expected. I guess I can’t complain.

IMG_7955

Oh look. Another idiot taking a photo in a gym mirror. I’ll spare you an flexed muscle shots — this photo is just to show my awesome compression sock/brace look. That Hansel is so hot right now!

Furthermore, my family has been so incredibly sweet. They took the time they were supposed to use to go to Tempe to come to California and visit. They never complained once about the money they lost on their airline tickets that they had to cancel and they are all so supportive with me picking up the pieces and trying again. Love you guys! I definitely can’t complain.

I will admit though, Sunday was tough. If you sit on the coach long enough doing nothing, you’ll surely overanalyze everything. If you’re tracking the race you were supposed to do, it’s highly likely that you’ll go crazy.

For the past week, I kept asking myself, “Why?!”  I’m a firm believer in that there is a reason for everything, but I’m just so damn impatient and I want to know what that reason is. I analyzed every possibility and have multiple scenarios that I’ve convinced myself of, but I have to admit something first…

Over the past four months of training, everywhere I looked I would see the same set of numbers. These three numbers would show up on clocks, watches, radios, you name it. Whenever I would see it, I would shout, “CHICKEN FACE! THERE IT IS AGAIN!”

He would laugh and call me crazy (he’s probably right.) I even told my cycling friends about it on a ride and asked if they had ever experienced something like this and what it meant. They just looked at me like I was losing it. That number:

911.

I kid you not. From 91.1, to 9:11. It was everywhere. I usually don’t believe in this type of stuff, but I just can’t help but to think that someone or something was trying to tell me something. It was weird. Really weird. Maybe I wasn’t supposed to be there for some crazy/scary reason.

Anyways, to move on from the strange omens, I still believe that this injury happened for a reason. The reason that I’m choosing to believe is that it just wasn’t my time. Instead, maybe I was meant to train for a year to get to know more about the three sports and myself. I spent a year learning, struggling, overcoming, and just plain growing, but now it’s time to train harder and smarter than ever before. It’s time to grow into a serious athlete, not just a gal who was sidelined by a sprained ankle.

I am more determined than ever, dammit.

IMG_7950
I’ve researched my options. I’m weighing the pros and cons. I’m anxiously awaiting the answer to come clear so I can hit register and start down the new path. IMCDA? IM Whistler? IM Lake Tahoe? What do I do and how do I do it? Whatever it is, I’m ready!

Well, in four to six weeks. Hurry up and heal ankle!

This entry was posted in injury and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to A Reason For Everything

1. Jean says:

Ahaha, you’re so right-tennis shoes and slacks may be the worst look out there… sorry, not meaning to kick you while you’re down! Looks like you’ve got a lot of exciting options to consider!

2. J says:

I so believe in omens. That is some crazy stuff – gave me goosebumps! Last week something similar happened to me. I was typing an email to my mom who was going to visit my aunt that day. Something inside me kept telling me, oh you should call your mom tonight when she is at your aunts. So the day went on and that thought kept popping in my head. So I was driving home from running club that night and then I had this huge urge that I needed to call my mom. So i called and my mom was surprised to see me calling because my aunt had literally just gotten off the phone with my uncle because his mom had just died from a long illness. It was so weird, almost like I was supposed to call at that time to show support for my aunt. So I don’t discount any strange omens or strong feelings. You never know!

I am sure you will know what the right path is and why this all happened soon. Its strange how life works and everything has a purpose!

3. You are amazing!! I am so excited for your next adventure and inspired by you as well. I love your notebook with options and I also believe in omens. :)

4. Holly says:

I meant to comment on this the other day, but I keep seeing Eugene on your schedule…does this mean we could FINALLY meet IRL in April??? I’m signed up for the full…

5. donna says:

I feel for you…and know exactly what you are going through. I was signed up and ready for IMAZ this year too and then I tore all the peroneal tendons in my foot and I had to pull out. I was devastated to come so far and not be able to race.But I am now signed up for IMCDA….so hopefully the second timeis the charm. Hope you heal up soon.

6. Tara says:

This post really freaked me out — because I ALWAYS look at the clock when it’s 911!!!! And have had the same “you’re crazy” discussion with my husband. Why is this???

7. Laura says:

Seeing the same set of numbers over and over actually happens to me too, usually when I’m going through something difficult in life. I see it as a reminder that I’m on the right track, so resting your body and laying on the couch sounds like just what you need! Wishing you a VERY speedy recovery!!!

8. Marlene says:

Okay that is totally weird about the numbers. I’m not generally superstitious but it something like that were happening to me, I’d start to wonder.

Hoping you are all healed up in closer to 4 than 6 weeks and can’t wait to see what you choose for your IM. Either way, it’ll be epic!

9. RoseRunner says:

Very spooky. But it’s ok if there’s no reason, isn’t it? If someone I love dies, it didn’t happen fora reason. Its just plain terrible :(

Someone in charge of the Tahoe IM needs to get you in! Is that IM still an option?

It looks like you already said no to Ironman Mont Tremblant, but before you do that, take a look at the pictures from a guy who did it. Just from what I read about it from him and another guy, it sounds like a ironman athletes paradise. An d the pics are gorgeous.

11. You have SUCH an amazing attitude about this all!!! So inspired by you!

Good luck figuring out a plan B… I’m sure it’ll be even better than plan A. GOOD LUCK!

I would be one to read into the 911 thing too! Yikes!

My theory is that this happened so that you will show up to race on your first Ironman SO ready that you will qualify for Kona. The knee and cold weren’t helping you at IMAZ so your body decided to revolt and make you wait until you could use your full potential. Just saying…. ;)

Also, forgot to include this link – I remember the fall down 7, get up 8 line was used for a commercial for Dwayne Wade a while back. Keep working hard at your rehab.

14. Meghan says:

Sounds like you have a fantastic attitude! Hopefully you heal quickly and can jump back into training. I see Eugene on your list of possible plans- are you running Eugene?! It will be my first full marathon- eek! Maybe I’ll see you there. Good luck with healing and deciding on which IM to compete in. It sounds like you have some great options in beautiful areas.

15. I know what you mean about those omens!! Every morning I use to ALWAYS look at the clock when it was 8:08 as a kid, I thought it looked like the name BOB and from then on, 8:08 was BOB time. Weird, I know.

I’m glad you are already looking on to your future races! I hear Whistler is a beautiful place!

16. Leslie says:

Im so sorry you werent able to compete in IMAZ!! I have done IMCDA as my 2nd IM…I liked it. The water is cold and choppy and if you think that is going to be a problem don’t do it. It’s very spectator friendly though! IMLT is completely sold out including community fund…. So you are going to have to know someone pretty high up to get a slot there! I also think its going to be a logistical nightmare … With getting around Tahoe and the race being point to point. It’s also inaugural and things can go wrong in its first year…the same with Wistler.

I’m sorry that you are in this position to try and find another race!!! I would consider Challenge Penticton… It’s the old IM Canada… It was my first IM and that is an awesome course! good luck with your decision!

17. I definitely believe in stuff like that, and I think you’re absolutely right that it meant something. Who knows what, but I think there was a reason. I can’t wait to hear your plans going forward, and I’ll keep cheering you on from across the blog world! Here’s to quick healing! And happy Thanksgiving.

18. Colleen says:

What about Vineman or Expeditionman? Those would both be pretty close to you, though Expeditionman is pretty late in the season.