2012 was full of audacious goals that pushed me in more ways than I thought possible. When the high ankle sprain hit, I felt like I had lost everything that I had worked for over the past year. The time, the energy, the sacrifices – I thought it was all lost.
Yet when I looked back at my 2012 goals and put together my 2012 recap, I saw it. It was right there slapping me in the face. 2012 brought so, so much and while I missed a few “goals,” I indeed met many of them and learned more than imaginable along the way:
- Complete an Ironman: Not yet.
- Complete a half Ironman: Check!
- Cycle Like It’s No Big Thang: I’m no pro, but I’d say this is a check!
- Swim Like It’s No Big Thang: From eight laps to 2.4 miles, I’d say check!
- Learn How To Fuel Appropriately: Made some progress.
- Stretch Regularly: After the knee injury, I realized how important this was.
- Be Injury Free: Bahahahahahhahahaha!
- Vitamins and Supplements: I gave it a decent effort.
- H20: I’d say I got my fill in.
- Live Adventurously: I made this goal in 2011 and 2012, each year living it a little more.
When it came time to make my 2013 goals, I felt this overwhelming urge to write down all the little things, the tactics, yet I never got a spare moment to do so. But then as Chicken Face and I were counting down from 10 on the rooftop of a snow-covered casino parking garage on New Year’s Eve I knew what I wanted to do in 2013 and it didn’t require a list. Instead we hit midnight, kissed and said, “Here’s to happiness and adventure.”
The world is full of opportunities and experiences, and I want in, in whatever way possible. I want to collect moments of joy and laughter so I can share these memories with my future grandbabies. I want to take my family, my friends, my mind and my body to new levels, all of which creating stories of a lifetime. I want to take adventures, no matter how small or large, and pocket them in my little black book of joy.
This doesn’t have to be extravagant around-the-world trips, but just discovering what’s right in my backyard, meeting new people or trying new things and sharing it with those I love. I want to find adventure, and in doing so, happiness. And maybe an Ironman finish along the way…
What are your 2013 goals?