IMCDA Training Begins!

Hello! I’m back from vacation and feeling exactly what I set out for: rejuvenated, refreshed and ready to take on 2013. While I’ll share the tales of my trip to Utah with Oakley and to Mexico with my family later, today is an exciting day that I wanted to share.

Today marks the first day of training for Ironman Coeur d’Alene, Idaho!

IMCDA
I kicked off this training cycle with a short swim (actually, my first swim in over two months) at Club Sport and my longest run to date (3.5 miles). More important than what I did today is how I am planning on approaching this training cycle differently:

First and foremost, I am working with Coach Paul again. He was incredible throughout this entire journey, plus he listened to me sobbing multiple times as I gave him the bad news.

Second, we decided to take each day as it comes and monitor my ankle closely. While I am getting back into the swing of being active again, I need to make a natural progression and not push it. If I push it, I risk re-injuring myself.

With my IMAZ training not too long ago, Coach Paul and I are going to focus on a) rebuilding my fitness, b) rebuilding my endurance, and c) work on speed over multiple long, long, loooooong workouts. The goal: GET FAST and STRONG!

IMAZ’s training cycle was long…too long. While much of it wasn’t specific IMAZ training but rather teaching me three different sports and how you put them altogether, I will admit that I was burnt out by the end. So much so in that it is probably what caused my body to be lazy, trip and sprain my ankle. This training cycle will be just about six months. My mind, body, family and friends much prefer the sound of this.

Preventative care will be a top priority. With the mysterious knee injury behind me, I know I’m not out of the woods. Regular rolling, stretching, ankle strengthening, chiro ART and monthly sports massage appointments are incredibly important.

Last year I learned a lot about how to fuel, but I’m almost glad that I’m getting this extra chance to really optimize and perfect my fuel plan. To be honest, I still feel like I wasn’t 100 percent sure what was best for me.

We’re also switching to TrainingPeaks from WorkoutLog to schedule and track workouts and I’m excited to be better about uploading detailed data and analyzing it.

Oh, and I WILL overcome my continual fear of open water swimming, seamlessly fix flat tires, learn about bike maintenance, and take better care of Dora’s chain. It got pretty bad.

These are some of the big changes, but I’m excited to continue adding more triathlon knowledge to my neophyte athlete’s knowledge library. More than anything, I’m ready to show failure that it hasn’t deterred me. I can, and I will, pick myself back up and give it the bird as I fly by on Dora.

Failure2

Happy Triathlon-ing!

This entry was posted in IMCDA, Training and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to IMCDA Training Begins!

1. Good luck! Excited to follow this round of training, love the positive attitude, and will be sending all of my nursely, healing good thoughts your way!

2. Alyssa says:

HI! YAY! Welcome back in so many ways. :) :) :)

3. J says:

YAY!! I really really hope this training cycle goes well for you! I know you are kind of busy with training for three sports, but have you thought about adding in Pilates?? I think I remember saying you do core work, but last year after I had ankle and knee issues (weaknesses and hip problems) I started to go to an abdominal class and also Pilates once a week and I really think it has helped me to stay injury free for the past year.

4. LOVE that quote! i may have just set it as the background of my computer. i’m excited to follow your training :)

5. Addie M. says:

I started my half Ironman training last week. Exciting! I am taking classes to work on my swim form.

6. Cate says:

You’re BACK!!! So excited to follow your training!

7. Susan SRMS says:

Welcome back, Page! 2013 is your year! Happy Training!

8. Kim says:

Woohoo!!!! Congrats! I’m SO happy for you and I can’t wait to follow your training :) Also, that quote is amazing and I will be pinning the sh*t out of it!!

9. @outsidetime says:

Delurking to say I’m so excited you’re back at it and I’m glad your ankle is healing so well!

10. Katherine says:

Thrilled for you, Page! I’m confident you’ll conquer the fear of open water this training cycle. You’re more experienced and are one tough cookie.

11. Meagan says:

SO SO SOOOO exciting! Can’t wait to read all about your journey! Congrats on this big step!!!

12. Celia says:

Yay! great you found another IM. Can’t wait to see you dominate it this time around :)

Woo!!!! Sounds like you are ready to go! I’m glad you’re rested and excited to train – that is as important as having a healthy body! Can’t wait to continue to cheer you on through the training !

14. Kimra says:

Yay, yay, yay. So excited for you to crush it!

15. Kara says:

Woohoo! Can’t wait to read as you dominate! I’m starting training for Lake Placid (my first IM) this week as well, I’m excited to follow along with you!

16. Good Luck on another IM journey! CDA is an awesome race. Probably will be a little different then AZ training and 6 months is a perfect amount of training time!!

17. Jojo says:

Weeeeeeeeee!!! Can’t WAIT to see you tackle this training cycle and adventure. Couer d’alene, watch out!

18. SO EXCITING!!! I’m so happy to hear you are able to start training.
    And I really need to adopt the preventative care priority, too.