2013 SOAS Amateur Race Team

Last year I was on a quest.

I’m not speaking of my journey to Ironman quest in this post, but rather the quest for the perfect tri “kit.” A triathlon “kit” is a top and a bottom that you can wear for all three sports. A kit needs to be tight enough to wear under a wetsuit while you swim, long enough that you can contort into odd shapes and still be covered (and wind resistant) on the bike, and comfortable enough that you can run chafe-free. All of this while being appropriately fit for a woman, long enough for my freakish torso and to be honest, cute enough to make you look feminine and fast*.

IMG_7573

Testing out my SOAS kit last year.

After racing in a variety of triathlon pieces (none of which were actually designed to work together), I decided to purchase a kit that I had been hearing so much about: a SOAS kit. I tested it out on a few final workouts leading up to the race and was uber-impressed. I was in love with the racer back top, was giddy that the shorts were long enough to get the job done but short enough to not warrant an SNL mom-jeans skit and had a great look to it. It fit well, it was functional and I even got a few compliments! Can I get a HUZZAH?!

When I saw that SOAS was looking for applicant for their 2013 amateur race team, I jumped at the chance, but didn’t really share with anyone that I had applied. I submitted my application and got the shocking/exciting news last week: I was accepted as part of the 2013 team! To say that I’m pumped would be an understatement. I’m honored and ecstatic to be part of a team that is working to empower women in this sport, all while making them functional, feminine and fast.

Untitled

I’ll make sure to share more SOAS news as it comes in, but I’m even more ready for this season, racing in some awesome gear and being part of the team.

If you want to learn more about SOAS, send some social love on their Facebook and Twitter accounts.

*Nota Bena: For crying out loud, it doesn’t have to be pink and have butterflies if it’s made for women! I hereby petition a ban on all tri kits with flowers and butterflies.

This entry was posted in SOAS and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 2013 SOAS Amateur Race Team

1. @outsidetime says:

OH, congratulations!!! And dude, I totally agree. I can’t stand the “make it ‘for girls’ by making it pink and putting stupid designs on it” thing. Garmin, I’m looking at you….

2. Molly says:

Oh, man, AMEN to your note re: pink. My running shoes are pink because that’s the only color they came in. Just because I’m a lady doesn’t mean pink is my favorite color! Can I get some green or blue or yellow shoes? (Fortunately, they’re a deep fuschia which is just about the only shade of pink I actually like.) I’ll definitely check out SOAS for running gear now.

3. Katherine says:

Congratulations, Page! I’ll add my +1 to your note on pink gear for women, too. Any chance you’ll post a more in-depth review of the Psoas tri kit? I’m thinking about jumping into the tri world this year and your description of this tri kit sounds like the kind of tri kit I’d be looking for!

4. Katherine says:

Congratulations, Page! I’ll add my +1 to your note on pink gear for women, too. Any chance you’ll post a more in-depth review of the SOAS tri kit? I’m thinking about jumping into the tri world this year and your description of this tri kit sounds like the kind of tri kit I’d be looking for!

5. CONGRATS! I got a SOAS kit for Christmas and can’t wait to test it out during a race. From what I can tell so far their stuff is purely amazing

6. Ali says:

So exciting and well-deserved! Congratulations and cheers to many a podium finish in your sweet ambassadorial kit ;)

7. Kimra says:

Woohoo! That’s awesome news. I love the look of SOAS stuff.
    True story: Um. Until recently, I thought anyone who wore any triathlon/bike stuff with a company name on it was sponsored by that company. I realize this makes no sense; it’s not like I think everyone with a swoosh on her shirt is sponsored by Nike. But I totally believed it with tri gear. So I’ve never tried on any SOAS stuff, but I’m certainly intrigued!

8. Rhea says:

Hi Page, CONGRATULATIONS (from one of your lurkers… I get your feed but I came out of the shadows because I’m so happy for you!). 2013 is your year! What a conqueror you are!

AWESOME! Congrats!

10. Monika says:

Congrats!!! Remember.. no white! ;o]

11. Michaela says:

Congrats! So awesome! I bought my first SOAS kit in Portland last month — I love it! Totally agree with you — so nice to see tri gear that actually is flattering! (Those one-piece suits: AWFUL.)

12. cheryl says:

Congrats on your making the “team”-
    Still love their stuff even though I wasn’t chosen-but I really can’t afford their stuff.

Now I am back to racing sprints (and longer?) in what has always worked for me since 1982- a one piece speedo.

13. Hannah says:

Grrr…this is the one thing that has prevented me from expanding my running habit into triathlons. Thanks for the heads up!

14. Congrats! They definitely picked a great person for the ambassadorship…I’ve said it a million times, but I love hearing your journey into triathlons/IM.

Annnnnd I hate hate hate hate HATE that women’s gear is more or less pink/purple with flowers. Why? WHY? Not all of us like flowers, and a nice red or green or something gender neutral would be nice…

15. Kat says:

So excited for you. I just went to their website…I always wear a one piece tri suit for races but I have a short torso. This brand has some of the girliest looks that aren’t over the top…polka dots, navy and green chain links. Thanks for sharing.

16. Angela says:

“For crying out loud, it doesn’t have to be pink and have butterflies if it’s made for women! I hereby petition a ban on all tri kits with flowers and butterflies.” This is pretty much how I feel any time I’m looking for running tops of any kind. WTF???

17. Alexa says:

serious congratulations!! I love (lurking on) your blog, and this seemed very much worthy of an actual comment. Best wishes for a wonderful, speedy and healthy 2013 – happy to be following along.