IRONMAN COEUR D’ALENE: WEEK 9

Are you one of hundreds, if not thousands of bloggers who are fretting the loss of their beloved Google Reader? Indeed it is a shame and a decision I strongly question, but dry those tears fellow social-media addict, a solution exists. Enter: BlogLovin.

I haven’t explored too many other options because they all look like they are straight out of 1998 and need a screeching dial-up to go with it. BlogLovin is the antithesis of said monstrosity: clear, easy to use and it’s not too bad on the ol’ eyeballs. Even better: importing your Google Reader feed only takes two steps and I thought I’d show you how.

Step 1: After you’ve signed up for BlogLovin, simply hover about your name and click “settings.”

BL1

Step 2: Scroll to the bottom and click “Import Blogs.”

BL2

Wham, bam, presto! Your Google Reader blogs are now in BlogLovin. Want bonus points? You can follow Twenty-Six and Then Some on BlogLovin right here.

Phew — now that we’ve adverted that crisis. Here’s a look at the biggest week thus far, which also happened to be a recovery week, how did that happen?

Mon., 3/11: Swim

IMG_0073

What’s that?! You swam again at Club Sport Pleasanton? In a pool? With water?! I’m as shocked as you are by this revelation. Let’s take a moment to let it all soak in.

Tues., 3/12: Ride/Run & Strength

A short little ride on the trainer followed by a transition run where my legs and bottom of my injured foot felt like death. This was one of those days that you just do it despite what your brain is telling you.

Wed., 3/13: Run

What was supposed to be a timed trial turned into “just finish the damn five miles.” My legs were in a state of shock after the prior week’s half marathon. After more than 3+ months of not running anything close to what I did at that race, but legs just needed some active TLC.

Thurs., 3/14: Ride & Swim

Getting’ sweaty on the trainer followed by a confidence boosting Club Sport swim (finally)!

Fri., 3/15: Yoga & Threshold Testing

This is Paul, my coach. Don’t let his endearing little smile fool you.

IMG_0082

On Friday night he hooked me up and put me through the cycling ringer. In return, I left perma-sweat marks all over his garage floor. You’re welcome, Paul.

This testing was to determine my heart rate training zones and to analyze my fitness progressions (you can see round one from last year here). The zones are the same but the good news is that my fitness and associated heart rate has improved (even with the injury time off). I’ll take it.

Sat., 3/16: Double Brick

30 mile ride, 30 minute run, 20 mile ride, 20 minute run… all with my new favorite cycling partner by my side: Cate! We rode, we climbed, I cursed, we rejoiced in the wicked-fast downhills while gripping our brakes and fearing for our life. It was Saturday at its finest. So fine, in fact, that this was the best shot of the day…sexy.

IMG_0114

Sun., 3/17: Long Run

IMG_0096

Sunday was 10 miles through my neighborhood where the hills were green and the weather was simply perfect.

I closed out week 9 with:

11 hours and 29 minutes of training:
5,100 yards swimming
82 miles cycling
23 miles running
30 minutes strength
30 minutes yoga

Tell me, how do you read blogs and how will you read them now?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Weekly Recap and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to IRONMAN COEUR D’ALENE: WEEK 9

1. Holly KN says:

Hi Page – Actually found my way over here after searching out information on swim training apps (happened on a post you wrote about the Speedo Pace Club app back in 2011..). And this post hit close to home, since I’ve been whining over the impending loss of Google Reader for that last few days myself. Haven’t settled on an alternative yet, but will definitely check out Blog Lovin’. Thanks for the heads-up.

Iron(Wo)man training fascinates me – so I’ll certainly be back to see what you’re up to. Thanks for sharing! :)

2. Anna says:

I always read blogs using bloglovin, and love it! I`m not a big Google user other than Google Analytics and the good old Google search.
    I also wanted to say that I love your soas outfit! It suits you perfectly and actually looks nice!

3. J says:

Great week of training! Glad your HR analysis proved you are in better shape!

I tried Feedly yesterday but I hate the format so I will have to try bloglovin. I am sad google reader is going away :(

4. Never used Google reader or anything similar to it. I am old fashioned (read: technically challenged) and just type in the address of my favorite blogs. Granted, I think something like the blog lovin would help keep them all organized for me since I can’t remember half of the blog names. Took me a while to remember yous ;)

5. Meaghan says:

Yes! A nice alternative to Google Reader! I just set up my account. Thanks for this!

Just signed up for Blog Loving! I actually only discovered Google Reader a few months ago (yes I am from the dark ages) and I actually didn’t find it that user friendly. Bloglovin already looks better! Thanks for passing on the tip!

Great week of training!!!!

7. RoadBunner says:

I want to give you a sloppy kiss. I can always count on you for awesome technology recs! muah!

8. Cate says:

So far, I’m liking feedly but I’ve only been using it for about a week. I may need to try BlogLovin to compare.
    And I may need to get some more flattering cycling attire. Yikes.

9. Meggie says:

THANK GOD you told me about this because otherwise this morning when I couldn’t open my google reader I was like “WTF. guess there went reading blogs….”

Going to revv up the Blog Lovin now…

10. Emily N says:

Thanks for the bloglovin advice!

11. Angela says:

Interesting, I’ll have to check that one out. Ever since the Reader panic I’ve been trying out NetVibes, but I haven’t fully committed yet…

12. I just found you through bloglovin! You are featured on upcoming or top (can’t remember which one…) fitness blogs! I’m excited to follow along every day!

13. Monika says:

I’ve been so sad about the death of google reader! I heard feedly was okay. I’m signing up for bloglovin now.

14. erin says:

Love me some bloglovin’! Google is my go-to for practically everything, but I didn’t even know there was a google reader until everyone was freaking out that it was going away! You’re already in my feed :)

Awesome week of training! Hooray for improved fitness and HR! Is it weird that I’m excited to do my first double brick ever once the snow FINALLY melts in Minnesota?! :)