Big News & Big Changes!

I apologize for being that annoying person who keeps ambiguously hinting at something but never reveals what said secret is. I have been that person for the past month because this news is big, crazy, exciting, scary and going to take my little family’s life down a completely new path. So here we go…

nike_swoosh_big

Today was my last day at my job as my career dreams are becoming a reality: I’ll be moving to Portland this July to start my new job at Nike! I still can’t quite believe this is happening…

My over-the-moon enthusiasm should be evident as this is quite literally my dream job. Career-wise, this decision was a no-brainer and it is a fantastic fit for both my skill set and my passions. However, there are a few very important details that will be challenging over the next year: Chicken Face still has a year left in grad school and we had to have some very serious conversations.

Long story short, we have decided to do the long distance thing for a bit (with joint custody of Lola) and will survive on a hefty diet of FaceTime, Skype and Southwest RapidReward points (it’s only an hour an a half flight). Personal details aside, we know it won’t be easy, but we also know that it’s for the best and I am so very appreciative of the opportunity and for my family supporting me as we make this big move.

So why am I telling you this and providing all of these additional, personal details? To be honest, I’m absolutely pumped for the job, but so very nervous/scared to be away from my husband and dog for that long. Plus, I have only been to Portland once in my life and that was for the interview and I only know two “in-real-life” friends and one Internet buddy who live there.

I have so many questions (do they have a lot of triathlons? Good cycling hill climbs? Is it all free love and organic?) and I would love to meet new people, make new friends, eat at new restaurants, explore new rides, run new trails, and keep my heart full while I’m away from my family. With that, I ask you…

Where should I go?! Who should I meet?! What races should I do?! What should I see?!

Now to pack for an Ironman and a huge move…Happy Running!

This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Big News & Big Changes!

1. HUGE CONGRATS! I don’t know exactly what the position is but it sure sounds like my dream job too! Big things are happening for you girl!

2. Paula says:

Best wishes as you head north to follow your dreams :) We will miss you! Nike is beyond lucky to have you.

3. AHHHHHHHH Congrats Page!!!!! :) What will you be doing at Nike? I know that a fellow runner there (Nick Cifuentes) recently made the switch from San Francisco to PDX too. So awesome :)

I think Rev3 70.3 PDX will come back in 2014. I’d definitely love to do it :) And of course, the Rock n Roll races in Portland and Seattle score you an awesome speciality medal.

Congrats again :)

Oh, and hire a mover/packer. Hopefully Nike offers relocation. No need to pull any muscles packing and lifting in these next few weeks!!

-Amara

4. How amazing, I love Portland!!! We went there on our honeymoon-so much great food and hiking!

5. Kimra says:

I am so excited for you! I spent several months living in Portland during grad school, trained for my first half-marathon there, and got to know the Southwest OAK-PDX route very well (my husband stayed in SF). If you’re going up in July you’ll be moving at the PERFECT time. Summer there is spectacular. And the coffee! And the food! I don’t want to keep rambling in your comments but I can email you some favorites. Congrats!

6. Congrats on landing you dream job Page! Very happy and excited for you!

7. Margaret says:

Congrats!

I live in the Portland area. We’re really in the middle of everything – within two hours you can head to mountains, the beach, wine country, etc. Forest Park is one of the biggest with a ton of trails (I think I did a 5k there once, but I live in a SW suburb so not somewhere I frequent). Definitely lots of good restaurants.

Foot Traffic running store and Run with Paula are the organizations that I’m most familiar with that put on running races. You’ll also need to do Hood to Coast to be a true Portlander. I haven’t done any triathlons (it’s on my bucket list, probably to start next summer), but Blue Lake is one I’ve heard about a lot. My first tri I plan on doing is Aluminum Man in The Dalles (about 90 minutes east of Portland).

Have you ever watched the tv show Portlandia? It’s a parody, but honestly… a lot of it falls in the category of it’s funny because it’s true!

8. Debbie Falls says:

Congratulations Page! I grew up in Beaverton, not far from what is now the Nike campus. Family is still there. It’s a very active area, raining or not. People are always out running or biking. Many trails and bike lanes and running paths. Portland Running Co is a nice store in Beaverton, not too far from the Nike campus. The Run with Paula events, put on by the owner/wife are great. I was just up there to run the Hippie Chick with my Mom on Mother’s Day. Start getting their newsletters and those from Fit Right NW to learn of everything going on. There are many triathlons as well. you won’t be lacking for events to do. The people up there are different than here. It’s a slower pace. It’s very green and smells different with all the fir trees. You’ll love seeing Mt. Hood in the distance. Beaverton is a nice suburb of Portland. I could ramble on–I love it up there!

9. Congrats, congrats, congrats!! Working for Nike would be a dream, and even better that it’s a great fit for your skills and passions! So exciting!
    I’m sure it’ll be tough to be without Lola and chicken face for a while, but it’ll be so worth it in the end. Plus, Portland seems like endurance athlete heaven!
    I can’t wait to hear more!

10. Monika says:

Oh wow!! congrats!!! David and I were long distance for 4 1/2 years!! It was hard but doable at the time, although now that we’re past that its hard to imagine things being like that, but the best advice I have to you is to keep busy. I didnt’ know anyone when I moved to San Diego and I tried a number of different things (meetup groups, women’s networking group, hanging out with coworkers, volunteering, classes) until I found the right fit for me which was coaching GOTR. Through GOTR i had something to keep me busy and ended up making a lot of like minded friends. Once the year goes by in retrospect it will seem like a blur of a memory.

11. Page! This is amazing! And so excited (and scary….) at the same time! My brother lives outside Portland in Hillsboro, and I know some other runner guys who live out there. I’m always jealous of their adventures because you’re a short drive from so much! I visited the Nike campus last summer when I visited my brother, and it’s GORGEOUS. I’m so jealous! Let me know if they hire nurses…..

12. Kris says:

That is Amazing!! Dream job is right. Very excited for you and cannot wait to read about all your new adventures Nike and unNike related.

13. Congrats getting into Nike!! That is a hard job to land! I live in Portland and you are going to love it!! We have a mecca of good bike rides, run routes, and swimming. My coach is the swim coach at Nike! He is so awesome! Plenty of races! Triathlons in the NW are put on by AA Sports. I can give you my opinion about them offline. Rev3 was here but I doubt they come back. All the suggestions in the comments are great too!!
    July is the PERFECT time to move here…because it is the best time of the year! You already will like the city before the rain starts!
    Do you know where you are going to live yet? Email me if you have any questions!!

If I had to move to another city, my first choice would be San Diego, and 2nd choice would be Portland or Seattle. I’ve only been to Portland once to visit my brother, but I thought it was a phenomenal city. Great food, great beer, nice people, awesome trails, and great surroundings. The city is also pretty cheap for food, beer and rent. Also, your Nike campus has an awesome Michael Johnson track inside of it that Kara and Shalane train on lol. Also it has a perimeter trail around the outside of it. And there ere also tons of great trails around Portland. I’ve heard that Portland Marathon is a great race.

Really the only negative is that it literally rains or is misty 2/3 of the year – though I guess that means that you have perfect running conditions basically year round (50 degrees, with fog or mist).

15. Sarah OUaL says:

!!!!!! I don’t know how long this has been in your pocket but when we talked (albeit briefly) in Eugene I kinda thought something was either in the pipeline or sitting in limbo. How so so so very exciting! Yes, long distance will suck I’m sure but I’ve heard so many great things about PDX and I’m sure you’ll love it. Living vicariously…

Man, you TOTALLY win June. Maybe the entire first half of 2013.

16. kimi says:

congrats page! so proud of you, lady!!! and yay for having a supportive hubby to let you follow your dreams. you guys will be just fine! :)

17. becca says:

Congrats, Page! I just moved to Portland myself last year (I’m originally from northern CA) and I bet you’ll love it here. It’s a magical place to explore, and there are SO MANY races to do!! Welcome! :)

18. CONGRATULATIONS! I’ve never been to Portland, so I’m no help there, but I have a feeling that everything is going to work out splendidly for you and Chicken Face in the end. Yay!

19. Jen says:

Yay yay yay yay. Congratulations! This is so exciting for you, and for me too! I can’t wait to meet you and show you the sights. You’re going to love it. Portlanders are embarassing in love with this city. Like, obsessed. It’s really annoying unless you buy into it, which I am certain you will.

Not a huge tri scene, but a few solid races. And a huge running scene to make up for it. Tons of beautiful cycling and plenty of good hills. More hipster than hippie, but we take all kinds.

Welcome. <3

20. Jill says:

Congratulations, what a great opportunity. I’m a SAHM, but when I do go back to work I really want it to be for a sports/running company. Best of luck!

21. Ali says:

So exciting and so well-deserved! This is shaping up to be quite the year for you, Ms. Page. Cheers to the new job, exploration in a new city and an Ironman title just around the corner. Big things are happening and they are happening to a GREAT person. I’m so happy for you. Congratulations! Gushy post over.

22. Alison says:

congratulations! that is so exciting and such a great accomplishment. good luck with all the next steps!!

23. That’s amazing Page!! You can do it!! I made a huge move to where I live now without knowing a single soul. I’ve since met tons of people through blogging, running groups, friends’ friends, etc. It’s hard at first, but you’ll love it! It’s fun to make big life changes. Routine gets boring sometimes. I wish I knew specifics on Portland, but I’ve never been. So excited for you!

24. Becca says:

Wow, congrats! That sounds awesome!

Long distance sucks, but the funny thing is that it opens up a whole new time window for you to explore different pursuits or do something new. It’s a mixed blessing!

25. Jessica B. says:

Wow that’s awesome! Working at Nike would be a dream for me but moving across the country is not possible.
    Best of luck to you in your new position and I hope Chicken Face doesn’t miss you too much!

26. Morgan says:

That is so freaking exciting, congrats!!!

27. Katherine says:

EEEEEEEEE! When you told me it was a huge opportunity I was excited for you, but Nike is like, way beyond that. Wow. So absolutely thrilled for you, girl. Glad you took the plunge and will be taking on this new position!

28. Caroline says:

CONGRATULATIONS! :)
    I have been following your blog for a long while (silent follower here), and it is very obvious that you deserve this job

29. Alisa says:

Congrats! Sorry you and CF have to live apart for a little while. Good news is that it’s only an hour flight to the Bay area from PDX. I visit my fam pretty often.

Furthermore, you’re now going to be in my hood. If you need a place to crash or recommendations on places to live, workout, run, ride, swim let me know. Bring your rain gear! And I hope you like your bike trainer b/c it’ll get a lot of use in these parts =). Maybe, if I’m up to it by the time you move and you are wanting to get back on your bike, we can go on some bike tours! Riding partners are always a good thing. Safety first =).

30. Jen says:

Congratulations!!! That is incredible, and you have every right to be excited, happy AND terrified. Wishing you all the best for a successful new career, move and family reunion in a year. It will fly by!

31. congrats page! that is so so so awesome! I’ve never been to portland, so i dont have any tips with that but i’ve only heard fantastic things!

CAN’T WAIT TO VISIT YOU! I love Portland! Lots of yummy craft beer :)

33. Shirin says:

Congratulations!!!

34. Mari says:

Woohoo!!! Congratulations! So happy for you that you could find your dream job. What a fabulous company to work for. Have fun!

35. Jessica Grover says:

Congrats on the new job and good luck on your Ironman. You are going to crush both!!

36. brooke lyn says:

congrats!!!! you’re going to love both Portland and Nike. I live here and my boyfriend now works for Nike and he loves the community and the work environment.

37. kelly says:

That’s super exciting! What are you going to be doing there? NAD I think it’s a shame we never met IRL while you’re in the bay area.

38. Jessi says:

Awesome, congrats! I work at the swoosh and can tell you it’s everything and more that you’ve ever dreamed it would be.

Let me know if you need a friend on campus!

39. Mary says:

Congratulations!

40. Britt says:

Congratulations!! My bf and I are doing the long-distance thing for the 4th time. The best advantage is knowing that you can work hard and stay busy, and completely reward yourselves when you’re together again. We each take a turn visiting the other once a month. Good luck with everything!

41. erin says:

So fantastic! Congrats, Page! So happy for you!

42. Karen Poole says:

Congrats! That is so exciting and gives me hope that I may one day get my dream job at Nike too! Can’t wait to follow your journey. Portland is such an active town. You’ll love it!

43. Emma @ a mom runs this town says:

Just found your log through Abby at A Change of Pace and saw you’re going to Couer D’Alene. So am I! But to support my husband! Best of luck and I’ll look for you out there!

44. Congrats on following your dreams! It is always hard to make big decisions like this with the sig other in grad school, but cheers to you for going for it!

45. Portland has alot of good runs and trails! Plus you aren’t that far from Seattle, which has races all the time!

46. Lauren says:

A somewhat belated (but still huge!) CONGRATS!! What an incredibly exciting change! I’m sure it will be a difficult transition, but I hope it’s 100% worth it. I’d really love to hear more about the new job if you ever feel like sharing. Good luck!

47. Naomi says:

I will be sad to see you leave the Bay, but you’re moving to my second favorite city! In fact, I’m here in Portland now and feel like it’s my second home. I visit often and hope to see you on one of these visits! Congratulations!

48. Congrats on landing your dream job! When I was offered my dream job, my wife and I spent several months living in different states until the logistics allowed us to be together again. It wasn’t always easy, but life is much better now that my work-life is more in balance. It might take some time, but you’ll figure out how to make it work.

49. Erica says:

Congratulations on getting in with Nike! I am new to your blog, but think we may have crossed paths at some point, as I am a fellow Reno girl who grew up swimming there. Anyway, I just wanted to say that my cousin lives in Portland and also works for Nike (she loves it!), so if you would like a contact there, just let me know! Good luck on your big race this weekend…I will be cheering for you!

50. Maureen M. says:

Congrats!! Seriously congrats! Working at Nike is a dream job indeed! I don’t think I’ve ever actually commented on your blog but I enjoy following your training for Ironman. I live in Portland and have no doubt that you’ll find enjoy find a niche here. It does have a huge running community and a fairly healthy tri community as well. You will not be disappointed!

51. Jill Christ says:

Congratulations! So happy for you taking this courageous step to follow your dreams!

My husband and I have to be long distance for a bit right now too, and I just came across a great article, and wanted to share it with you!

Best wishes to you, and I can’t wait to read about this next chapter in your life!