CIM: Weeks 5 & 6

As you may be able to tell, the frequency of my blog post have decreased, but I thank you for hanging in there with me as I get adjusted to this new little situation of mine. Patience, dear friends, patience.

Untitled

Photo courtesy of Alyssa. I’m the giant on the left.

I’m working to find my way in my new city with new friends, maintain and sustain my life back home in California, go out and experience this new adventure as much as possible, all while getting settled at a new job and training for a marathon.  Long story short, it ain’t easy and my legs are taking their damn time.

I had, and still do have, quite ambitious goals for my half and full marathons this year, but I may be realizing that it might just take a little more time than originally anticipated. I’m still coming for you, CIM, but I’m already on a hunt for a spring marathon that may be better fit for goal domination. It’s frustrating, but at the same time, I’m ok with it. If there’s anything that I’ve learned over the past year and a half is that patience truly is a virtue. I know if twill all pay off in the end.

Now to forgive my laziness, the past almost 20 days have been full of running and traveling fiascos (including a last-minute trip back to California to see Chicken Face and friends), and I’ll forgo the weekly recap, but rest assured that there’s plenty of mileage happening and I ran my farthest since IMCDA last weekend: 15 miles. Like I said, slowly but surely.

Untitled

Me, Cate, Alyssa and Caitlin. What up.

Untitled

Untitled

Right before the California downpour.

Untitled

Liquid courage at the Shark’s Game.

Untitled

Untitled

Followed by exactly what I needed…R&R at the pool on the first day of fall.

Let’s talk about patience…when did you have to exercise extreme patience in training?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to CIM: Weeks 5 & 6

1. Juls says:

Glad to see you’re still at. Stay the course. Be patient but persistent. You’ll get there.

2. Love that you got to home and see your family and friends! Nice trails!
    You’re right- patience is a virtue. Even though your legs aren’t fully agreeing with you in training, you never know what they’ll do on race day!
    My legs seem to be perpetually fighting against me! However, after battling exhausted legs for a couple months, I was beyond surprised with what they managed at IMCA.

3. Susan SRMS says:

The photo at the pool with Lola cracked me up…I was worried that you missed WAY TOO MANY waxing appointments! :-)

4. Getting my PhD required massive amounts of patience on so many levels…my yeast (I’m a biochemist) required day-to-day patience, experiments required week-to-week patience, progress on aims required month-to-month patience, and all that patience added up to over 6 years. Meanwhile, my husband was being patient over 2,000 miles away, while I tried to finish my degree.

Being patient sucks. But hopefully (eventually), it pays off. Hang in there, and be patient with yourself – you’ll get the hang of this new life, it’ll just take a little while.

5. Christie says:

What is the patients you speak of? :)

Beautiful photos girl.

6. egb says:

You are right. Patience is a virtue and it’s my least favorite one.

Great pics!

7. Kristen L says:

I am trying so hard to be patient in a few things lately: 1) I rolled my ankle last week during my long run and my leg is taking its sweet time feeling back to normal. and 2) I’m trying to finish my PhD in biomedical engineering, and my work is going much slower than expected. Need patience!!!

Keep focused on your goals, and you will get there. :)

I was in the same spot as you coming off of CDA last year – wanting to run FAST and finding I couldn’t. BUT I still made gains and tiny PRs just didn’t crush the goals I set out. It takes time.

Now may I recommend – MOUNTAINS TO BEACH!!!???? Memorial Day Trip!!!! Yeahhhhh!

9. Kim says:

Hang in there, girl! I’m always experiencing set backs, it’s so frustrating. I’m currently trying to nurse one now, Glad to see you had so much fun in CA! Love the CF and Lola pics :)

10. Emily says:

After I had my kid, I wanted to jump right back into the racing scene. I mean, a mere 15 months ago I was doing marathons and triathlons, so I should just pick up right where I left off, right? Yeah, I had to start back with a couch-to-5k. My legs couldn’t even go a mile. It’s been over a year and I’m finally back up to doing half marathons. I had to accept that I now have a different body than what I had before. I have to treat it differently. I can’t skip stretching and recovery anymore if I want to be able walk tomorrow. I have to be very steady and consistent; if I take too much time off, or if I do too much too soon, I feel it and I pay for it. I’ve been trying to figure this out for months. I have to take my training more like an experiment rather than a concrete, “this is what I do.” Because who knows what I will feel like next week? In a month? Nothing is certain. I’m just grateful I can run when I do get out there.

11. Alyssa says:

gorg photos & even greater to see you. <3

12. Houston Runner says:

Last December I was diagnosed with chronic exertional compartment syndrome in all four compartments in both legs. I hesitated to get surgery because of the fear of going under, but I finally bit the bullet out of frustration from the pain I felt EVERY time I ran and the diminishment in mileage. I went from running 30 miles a week to 1 or 2. It was like a slow, painful death. In June, I had four-compartment bilateral fasciotomies. Now I’m running about 3 miles a week. It’s not much, but I’m slowly getting back. While there is no longer pain, my legs feel like concrete columns. However, I just keep pushing along waiting for the moment when I turn the corner and can actually run one continuous mile. It seems funny to hope for such low mileage, but I haven’t run that “distance” without any pain in almost two years. I’m going to celebrate like it’s my birthday when I do!

13. RoseRunner says:

I am extremely curious how you are twice as tall as me and Kate in pic #1, and then we are all uniform height in the group photo. I will never trust photographs again. How tall am I, I wonder?

I loved our Saturday run, thank you for inspiring it to happen by being back in town!

14. Cathryn says:

I am also giggling at the height thing…you look SOOOOO tall!

15. Those are some beautiful photos. Glad you were able to spend time with the husband and friends. And patience sucks hard. It grates while going through it, but, it builds character as my mother says. :)