The Ironman Bug

Last week, I stalked social media for sneak peeks into the action from friends.
I fell asleep eager for those racing the next morning.
I dreamt (I kid you not) about it.
I woke up and immediately checked in on the action.
I constantly scanned for news and heard about the record-breaking performances.

Whether it was friends kicking-ass with sub-10 finish times, or Mirinda Carfrae demolishing the race with a new course record and the third-fastest overall run (2:50!), or seeing social media buddies posting about spectating the race, I couldn’t take all of this Kona excitement.

I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ve ever followed a sporting event that ignited my passion quite like this past weekend. The sport that I’ve grown, and am still growing, to love is complete with some of the world’s most dedicated and passionate athletes performing amazing feats of human willpower and physical aptitude.

I have to be honest, I did go and scope out how much time I would have to drop if I ever wanted to get to Kona. But by the time I’d be able to do another one, I’d be aging out of the 25-29 age group and into a much tougher age group. But what if? What if?

Untitled

With my mom in town this past weekend and her by my side and on a bike, we trekked to my new favorite paved trail for my long run. The weather was perfection, the fall colors were so pristine that it almost seemed fake, and  19 miles flew by. I loved being with my mom and finally getting back to the long distances where you can experience more than a handful of emotions and thoughts, and longed for the long training days and recovery nights.

Someday, one day, I’d like to be back on the path to Ironman. We’ll see what it takes to get there, but for now, I loved every second of watching amazing people accomplish the unbelievable this weekend.

Happy Running.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Ironman Bug

1. elizabeth says:

Me too! So inspiring to watch Rinny fly on that course. It was so very sweet when she thanked her mom. I went on a long run that morning and dreamt of being on Ali’i Drive. :)

2. Irina says:

I love seeing young people like you dreaming big. That’s how one should live their life, always reaching higher. While I will keep relying on the lottery to get me to Kona (I am a late bloomer, no way I can get that fast in this lifetime), I really hope to see you making those dreams a reality. To the infinity and beyond! ;-)

I believe in you! If you do make it to Kona I am sure as hell going to be there in person to cheer you on!!!

4. Colleen says:

What a beautiful photo! I’m so jealous! :)

5. Katie says:

Those videos/updates/photos are So. Addicting. Good luck — I hope you make it to Kona!

6. Mom says:

My dear sweet Ironman crazy girl. I really enjoyed riding next to you this weekend.
    I can only imagine running at your pace. Thank God I was on a bike cause you would of kicked my butt running .
    You only go around once so do what you love. I’ll always be your best supporter and cheerleader.
    Love ya,Mom

7. Kara says:

I have complete faith that we’ll all see you racing Kona someday :) You are such an inspiring, hard working person and you continue to motivate me with every post. I believe in you!!

Also, your Mom’s comment is so sweet!! Love it!

8. That photo takes my breath away. So beautiful. And you just floating along. Love it :)

I can only dream about doing a vine man let alone an ironman or THE ironman (i need to do my first tri!) . I’ll leave that to the pros, but will love every minute of watching them.

9. Claire says:

Amazing photo!! Also, I love that jacket.