Starting With Intention

I haven’t posted since early January.

It hasn’t been for a lack of adventures — far from it. Over the past two years, I trained, got injured, trained again, raced, recovered, moved, started a new job, trained, ran a marathon PR, traveled and more.

Untitled

I’ve enjoyed amazing runs with some of the best friends I’ve ever had and I explored new countries with the love of my life…with a little work mixed in.

Untitled

Oh and did I mention the food in Europe?!

Untitled

I am extremely lucky for these amazing opportunities and my husband who supports me and my nomadic tendencies (with a few hearty arguments along the way). Overall, I’ve done a decent job of keeping my mind busy  – especially since Ironman.

Yet ever since that big race, that deep, inner motivation and athletic happiness gauge that used to overflow on a daily basis was waning. I was still happy, yet that “X factor” just left me a bit nonchalant and unfulfilled with where I was — I didn’t even admit to the funk I was in until Saturday.

I decided that February would be my New Years — my fresh start.

I needed to figure out what it was that I was missing, and I also decided that I am going to reprioritize/change some personal/life things over the next year. Not just about my own athletic endeavors, but choices that will help me beyond “Page the athletes” and into the “Page the wife, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, etc.”  Redefining who I am outside of my sports and career. Let’s just leave those there.

As for the athletic side, I decided to change coaches and start a new journey toward Ironman 70.3 — Lake Stevens. My former triathlon coach was GREAT, my last running coach didn’t fit my style, and this time around, I just knew I needed something different. Someone who would be “all up in my shiz” and help me build both physical and mental confidence — enter Sonja Wieck.

Untitled

My first, weekly GoSonja Google Hangout. Sneaky screenshot style.

Saturday was my first Sonja workout and consisted of a 2 hours and 15 minutes “test ride.” In other words, “let’s see what I’m working with here.” I finally got a Cobb saddle and was equipped to do an actual workout (not just spinning because it hurt too bad to go into aero with the other saddle).

I mustered up my gear, fuel, electronics and enough entertainment to get me through the workout. Unsure of what to expect, I just hopped on and followed the cue sheet.

Over two hours later, sweat literally pooling, my legs pushed to a limit they haven’t been to in a while…I smiled. There I was, solo in my apartment, smiling ear-to-ear and I pumped my fist in the air — I kid you not. It was the first time that I can recall that the “X Factor” was back. I’m sure it was the result of an overwhelming endorphin high, but whatever it was that I was missing, it was overwhelming my entire being.

I called Chicken Face while riding my endorphin high and he was a bit confused with my inexplicable glee. I continued to ride that high the entire weekend…into the BARRE3 class (bad idea), onto the Sunday test run, and meeting me here, as I write this post.

As I try to wrap my brain around what “clicked”, I can only guess that it’s partly due to a few things: my 2014 “life reprioritization” and its associated intention.

I know and am ok with a full Ironman not being in the books for 2014. Instead my intentions will be on my family, friends and focusing on half Ironmans. My intentions are no longer to get in as many new adventures as possible, but to enjoy the now and those that I am with.

We are always seeking for more, more, more (myself included), but what about what we already have? What’s in front of you and the beauty in the daily nuances, the sweat you’re shedding at that moment and the people who want to share those moments with you. I intend to make them and those moment a priority — over everything else.

Untitled

This entry was posted in Life, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Starting With Intention

I can’t wait to hear more about your “fresh start” and new intentions!

2. You are so dang pretty, love your photos :) I am totally surprised to hear you were feeling in a funk since you’ve had some amazing runs, but you know you had a TON of changes to go through too end of the year…so maybe it’s all just settling in now so you can feel more focused.

3. Natalie says:

I love this post! I too have always sought “more, more, more” – especially in this past year, starting a new job, refocusing my career, picking up freelance work, and getting into running and triathlons for the first time! It is easy to get caught up in thinking to the next step and what else you can push yourself to do, and I think your reasoning in living in the moment and what you have is inspiring. I started this year doing the Minimalist Challenge in January (get rid of 1 thing on Jan 1, 2 things on Jan 2, etc) and that realization of how much clutter I had in my life has leaked into my personal life/how I view my relationships and work too.

Anyway, all of that to say, awesome goal, I can’t wait to see where you go with this, and thank you for the inspiration! :)

4. Jill O says:

So glad you have found your mojo again!
    I hope you love your Cobb saddle. I have the VFlow on my road bike and VFlow+ on my tri bike. I love them both!

Love this post! I also need to learn to be in the moment more and stop thinking so much of the future. I think It sounds like 2014 is going to be an awesome year for you! Can’t wait to see how things go with the new coach and new perspective!

6. Hi Page! I couldn’t agree more.
    It happens to me that I seek for more and more challenges, and sometimes I don’t really enjoy what I have today only because I’m thinking what else I could be doing/ improving. But at the end of the day I always have my husband who brings me back to earth! ;)

I’m beginning with triathlons and I feel very inspired by your reports; can’t wait for the next one! :)

7. Sounds like you’ve been having an amazing time!! Congrats on the new coach – sounds like a winner!

8. Ralph Gowen says:

Cobb saddle – that’s the one with avocado, bleu cheese and bacon, right?

9. MILF Runner says:

Fantastic title. Yes, what faces us right NOW? Who are these people we love and want to be with? We must BE WITH THEM! Honoring yourself. Holding that intention. Go, Page. Go!

10. Hi Page! I love hearing you say this, because this year I have had all of my distractions removed from my plate. Literally. I’ve been injured since December 2012, stopped running finally in April, and am finally having surgery this month after trials of unsuccessful treatments. As a result, I’ve been on disability and unable to work since May. I tried and tried to figure out God’s purpose for the whole situation, and it became clear: I needed to focus on me as a person,-not Stacey the runner or Stacey the pharmacist, but Stacey the person. I have had tremendous growth throughout this process, and am grateful for every bit of it. It has definitely been rough, but I will do my best never to take running, biking, yoga, or any physical activity for granted again! When I make my comeback, I will be a more confident woman and more sure of myself than I ever have been. Thanks so much for sharing that with us! You’re an inspiration in many ways to me-esp coming back from an injury. You take care and happy running girl!

11. Welcome back to the blogging world! :) I always enjoy your posts and your beautiful pictures! And thank you for the reminder to enjoy the here and now. I struggle with always looking for “the next adventure”, too, and not really appreciating the good things about the moment I’m in.

12. I just found your blog a little awhile ago, I am excited to follow and I agree with you… people seeing what you already have is so important. :)

13. Erin says:

You are going to LOVE working with Sonja. My coach is her PIC (Michelle) – its almost like we’re on the same “team” now. Yay!

14. jeri says:

I can’t wait to see what 2014 has in store for you as a person and an athlete. Also, I want to just dive in all of your photos in this post. OMG!

15. goSonja says:

Awwww….we had such fun on the office hours call! It’s going to be a fun year!!