With love from London

What started as, “You’ll be going for a week,” then “you’re not going,” then “we need you for almost three weeks and you’ll be living out of a hotel room the entire time,” has resulted in an eye-opening experience that I am beyond grateful for.

At the end of March, I hopped on a plane to London for work and I am now sitting in the airport now on my way home, writing my, “Hello! I’m still alive!” post.

Untitled

If you looked at my Instagram feed, one would perceive that it was full of nothing but frolicking around a city that has grown to share a special place in my heart. But the reality of it all was that I would try to get in some version of training done in the mornings, then it was non-stop work, resulting in severe sleep deprivation, but a new sense of camaraderie with my team.

Overall, the event went off successfully and the team managed to pull off some of the best work I’ve seen, but this is a triathlon blog, not a “Page’s career blog” so allow me to shift topics: training was tough.

In the beginning, I was able to explore and discover new places to swim and run, but cycling was officially put on hold and the 20 meter pools left vague distance estimates. I’m going to leave the location recommendations for another post, but it has since been confirmed: the best way to see a city is by running it’s streets, it’s parks and discovering their historic pools. And I am officially in love with all of London’s parks.

Sorry NYC, you lose.

Aside from exploring, stress was high and I could feel it everywhere. My legs felt like lead, my heart rate was off the charts and sleep was minimal at best. But when I could, I dragged myself up and out, and kept things easy and device-less. London’s expansive parks were just what I needed to melt the stress — I even had one of those “moments.”

You know, when you’re running and despite your speed or how you physically feel, all of a sudden things just become overwhelmingly emotional. You’re happy because you love what it is that you’re body is capable of doing, you love your husband, love your family —  just overwhelming love brought to you by running and recognizing how happy it truly makes you. The cheese is overwhelming, but if you’ve experienced this, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

From the usual London sights and sounds, to swimming in the official London 2012 Olympics pool and eating my way through the city, it was an experience I’ll never forget. I’m anxious to get back home, see my husband and Lola, and focus on training — I have some new possible goals and ideas on the horizon (email coming at you soon, Sonja). But I’m also a little sad to leave a city that will leave your wallets empty, but your face with a stupid smile smeared across it the entire time. Oh, and did I mention the FOOD!?!

Untitled

More to come soon…happy running!

This entry was posted in Life. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to With love from London

1. Natalie says:

Hurray! So happy to see another post from you…your London Instagram photos were awesome and I hope it all countered the stress of work as well. I totally get that overwhelming love feeling at the end of races or during really good long runs – it’s always been so hard for me to describe but I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels it! :)

2. Molly says:

BEYOND JEALOUS that you got to swim in the Olympic pool! Welcome back to the US!

3. Sima says:

I wasn’t a runner the semester I spent in London while in college, so seeing you running all over the City made me not only nostalgic but pissed that I didn’t take up running sooner! Loved your photos :)

4. th_m m_ vi_n says:

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for great information I was looking for
    this information for my mission.

5. Katie says:

Yay!!! I have been dying to know how it has been over there. How you are. What’s new, etc., etc. etc. Sooooo excited to finally read about your amazing experience. And what’s on the horizon! (maybe the London marathon?) ;) xoxo

6. London is such a great city! I went there in high school, but I’d love to go back now that I am an adult. Those cupcakes are so cute! How cool you got to swim in the Olympic pool!

7. Nancy says:

Love your site! To be honest I think I was here before and then lost your URL. I’ll be adding it to my feedly reader though this time :) I re-found it from the healthylivingblogs.com website under California blogs. I jsut moved here from Canada with my Ironman Triathlete husband, so we kinda have a bit in common!

8. Beth says:

Wow, looks like an awesome trip! Gorgeous photos and having those easy workouts was really smart. Safe travels home. :)

9. Even with the work stress, it sounds like it was an awesome trip. Swimming in the official Olympic pool?? So cool! I’ve never been to London, so it was fun see your instagram feed with all the sites :) looking forward to see how your training is going.

10. Becca says:

I was just in London for 5 days, and I ran everday along the Thames or in Battersea Oark. It was lovely! And of course I ate my weight in chocolate and cheese! I even brought your list of parks to run in, but ended up running wherever was closest.

And yes, I’ve totally had those cheesy life-running-appreciation moments. They’re wonderful.

11. If some one wishes expert view about running a blog after
    that i propose him/her to visit this website, Keep up the pleasant job.