Hey girl…I get it.
Those pants just won’t button, the zipper won’t stay up, and even if you did manage to stuff your growing belly into those leggings, you’re pretty sure it’s cutting off all circulation and your head will likely fall of due to lack of blood flow. And we haven’t even talked about the cups that now overfloweth.
But I come bearing good news: there are actually quality maternity clothes out there and you can build a mini “maternity capsule closet” with just the basics.
With a good chunk of my pre-pregnancy clothes packed up, I went to work on a maternity-friendly wardrobe, focused on basics that can be mixed-and-matched and can stand the test of time. Here are my go-to pieces.
- Paige Premium Maternity Jeans: After looking for “cheap” maternity jeans and realizing that they are all basically piles of stitched crap, I bit the bullet and invested in premium denim and am so thankful I did. You only need one pair and I wear them constantly.
- AG Jeans Skinny Leg Maternity Pants: One pair of quality black pants. Between these and the denim above, you’re set.
- Gap Long Sleeve Tees: Just get a variety of these. V-neck. Boat neck. Solid. Striped. Mix, match, easy, done.
- Gap Off-The-Shoulder Top: It screams, “Hello spring! I’m pregnant, but not totally frumpy!”
- Gap Denim Shorts: Because you only need one pair and these aren’t long “mom” shorts.
- Old Navy Long Cardigan: You’ll want a simple long cardigan that you can throw over any pair of leggings and…BOOM. Work-approved ensemble.
- Liz Lange for Target Maternity Tanks: The perfect form-fitting cami that don’t lose their stretch.
- GapFit Breathe Racerback Tank: Long, comfortable, stretchy, and affordable.
- Lululemon Align Leggings: Yes, they’re more than I was willing to spend on leggings, but I haven’t regretted this purchase once. They feel like butter with a comfortable waistband for both preggos and non-preggos.
- Lululemon Run Times Shorts: These were pre-pregnancy running shorts that have continued to be staples thanks to the stretchy, wide waistband.