I don’t know if there will ever be another time in my life where I will have a few weeks to do whatever I want. Well, mostly.
While yes, I’d love to spend this time riding a bike around France or running trails yet to be discovered, maternity leave has been filled with a to-do list that is getting smaller and smaller, and daily trips to Target where I’m sure the associates are all thinking, “That pregnant lady is back again.”
Despite the ridiculous heatwave we’ve been having (we’re talking 100+ degrees), I knew I wanted to spend a day in the kitchen, prepping healthy, frozen meals that will take some burden off of Josh and I when the little man comes. So I began by doing what I always do: Google.
However, a quick search for “frozen meal plans”or “post-pregnancy freezer meals” returned listicles of carbs covered in cheese covered in carbs. While I have no qualms with said concoctions, I did want to take this time to prepare freezer meals that have a bit more nutritional OOMPH because we all know ain’t nobody got time to sauté kale and lentils when you’re trying to figure out how to keep a tiny human alive.
So I set out on a quest to make my own healthy, post-baby freezer menu (with some help from my aunt — thank you so much, Maria!). Whether you’re prepping for baby, or just your own personal sanity, taking the time to make these dishes not only made me feel prepared, pretty damn good about myself. I mean, empanadas?!?! I’ve never made empanadas before, but the good news is that they’re easy and totally do-able. Also, I made all of these to be dairy-free, but feel free use any of the cheese as you see fit.
Enjoy my picks and share if you have any favorite freezer meals!
(Ugh, I sound so old even saying that. Welcome to mom-hood, I guess.)
- Freezer Breakfast Burritos from Gimme Some Oven
- Hard-Boiled Eggs from Gimme Some Over (yes, this is on here because it’s the best method I’ve ever tried. And no, don’t freeze these.)
- Smoothies (see list below)
- Perfect Veggie Burgers from Oh She Glows
- Spiced Lentil, Sweet Potato & Kale Whole Wheat Pockets from The Kitchn
- Three Sister Empanadas from The Kitchn
- Moroccan Chicken Stew (crockpot) from Fannetastic Food
- 10-Spice Vegetable Freezer Soup from Oh She Glows
- Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole from The Kitchn
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Smitten Kitchen (ok, I didn’t freeze these and am just eating them now because they are the best damn oatmeal raisin cookies I’ve ever had.)
- Mini vegan key-lime pies from Minimalist Baker (haven’t made these yet, but they’re on my list for this week)
- No Bake Chocolate Lactation Cookies from Nourish Move Love (to be made!)
- Lactation Cookies from The Lean Green Bean (to be made!)
(I’m going to make little smoothie freezer packs from each of these recipes this week)
- Pink Power Detox Smoothie from Oh She Glows
- Ginger Pineapple Green Breakfast Smoothie from Healthy Glow Co.
- Feel Good Pineapple Smoothie from Gimme Some Oven
- Blueberry Kale Smoothie from Gimme Some Oven
- Post-Workout Green Smoothie from Gimme Some Oven
- Acai Bowl from Layers of Happiness
Happy running (and cooking)!