12.31.02 - Washington Resolution Run
01.19.03 - San Diego Marathon
07.13.03 - Tri For Real #2
10.23.05 - Nike Women's Half Marathon
11.23.06 - Sparks Turkey Trot
05.05.07 - Marathon de Mayo (Half)
05.13.07 - Moms on the Run
10.??.07 - Nike Women's Half Marathon
05.10.08 - Moms on the Run
06.21.09 - Pleasanton Spirit 5K
07.29.09 - San Francisco Half Marathon
10.04.09 - SJ Rock 'N Roll Half Marathon
10.18.09 - Nike Women's Half Marathon
11.01.09 - New York Marathon
11.26.09 - Spark's Turkey Trot 10K
02.20.10 - Bay Breeze Half Marathon
03.14.10 - Shamrock 'N Half Marathon
03.21.10 - LA Marathon
03.27.10 - Scheel's Fanatic 5K
04.25.10 - Marin County Half Marathon
05.02.10 - Reno Rock 'N River Half Marathon
06.05.10 - See Jane Run Half Marathon
07.25.10 - San Francisco Half Marathon
09.05.10 - Pier to Peak Half Marathon
10.10.10 - Chicago Marathon
10.30.10 - Healdsburg Half Marathon
11.07.10 - U.S. Half Marathon
11.25.10 - Scheel's Turkey Trot 10K
02.06.11 - Surf City Half Marathon
03.13.11 - Dublin Shamrock 5K
04.18.11 - Boston Marathon
05.01.11 - Big Sur Marathon
06.11.11 - Lake Tahoe Relay
07.31.11 - San Francisco Half Marathon
09.11.11 - Walnut Festival Run 5K
09.18.11 - NorCal Half Marathon
11.24.11 - Scheel's Turkey Trot
12.03.11 - Las Vegas Santa Suit 5K
12.04.11 - Las Vegas Half Marathon
03.11.12 - South Bay Duathlon
03.25.12 - Oakland Half Marathon
05.20.12 - Morgan Hill Sprint Triathlon
06.24.12 - Silicon Valley Intl. Triathlon
07.15.12 - Ironman 70.3 Vineman Triathlon
03.09.13 - Lucky 13 Half Marathon
04.28.13 - Eugene Half Marathon
05.11.13 - Folsom International Triathlon
06.23.13 - Ironman Coeur d'Alene
11.02.13 - Silver Falls Half Marathon
11.15.13 - Mt. Tam Half Marathon
11.28.13 - Scheel's Turkey Trot
5k:19:17 @ Dublin Shamrock 5k 2011
10k: 41:01 @ Scheel's Turkey Trot 2010
Half:1:30:07 @ Oakland Half 2012
Full: 3:12:57 @ CA Int'l Marathon (CIM) 2013
70.3: 5:20:07 @ Vineman 2012
140.6: 12:14:21 @ Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013
Tag Archives: Essentials
The long weekend is over and unfortunately it’s time to get back into the routine. Part of that routine includes spending a lot of time training at the gym. With this comes a gym bag packed with everything you would need for a variety of workouts and a post-workout shower. Here’s a look at what’s in my gym bag and a few of my go-to personal favorites.
- Gym Bag: I’ve tried a few bags, but none can compete with the simple perfection of my Boston Marathon backpack that I got at the expo. Not only was it affordable, but this little bad boy can pack absurd amounts of crap in it. The important thing to look for in a gym back is big compartments. One compartment is big enough for my clothes, one for my shoes, one for my food, then secret little pockets throughout.
- Running Shoes: I would be lying to you if I say I’ve never forgotten my actual shoes.
- Flip-Flops: Whatever you do, please put down the dollar for a cheap pair of flip-flops that you can wear in the shower and when getting ready in the locker room. The bacteria at the gym makes you want to gag and if you really want to be freaked out, watch this video. Once I forgot my flip-flops and was still so paranoid that I showered in my socks, balancing on my heels. I’m a freak. I know.
- Extra Hair Ties & Headbands: I pack a handful of these in my make-up bag, but always keep an extra stash in the secret pockets of my gym bag.
- Tank Top & Tempo Shorts: Running essentials
- Two Sports Bras: One for high impact activity (i.e. running) and one for low impact activity (i.e. yoga – they’re more comfortable). Some extra undies and socks are in there as well.
- Long Sleeve Shirt & Capris: I pack these as well just in case. Who knows when I’ll change my mind and want to do yoga or need a new shirt to change into afterwards. These are my back-ups.
- Make-Up Bag: Packed with girly goodness, a brush and a straightener. I use the blow dryer provided by the gym to save space.
- Favorite Products: I called these products out specifically because they are some of my favorites and some that people don’t think of too often. They consist of…
A) Umberto Dry Shampoo ($8 at Target and you won’t be a grease monkey if you have to skip washing your hair)
B) Elnett Hairspary ($5 at Target and the best hairspray you will ever use. The bottle is ugly as hell but it holds without looking like you shellacked your hair)
C) Floss, tweezers, Qtips and ibuprofen (The gym doesn’t provide these and they are basically hygiene essentials. Do it.)
D) Extra headphones and a lock, no explanation necessary.
- Baby Wipes: Here’s my super gym/running secret! The fancy face/body wipes aren’t necessary when you can spend $1 on a ginormous pack of baby wipes. Bring them with you in case you can’t shower, want to wipe off your work make-up before getting your sweat on, or post-race so you don’t gag your family or friends when they meet you.
- Food Bag: I keep a large zip-lock bag full of gym snack in case I need a quick pre or post-workout calorie infusion. My bag is mostly full with bars or food I scored for free at races.
- Toiletries: As you can see, I’m a fan of zip-lock bags. They’re super effective: cheap, clear and durable. If they rip or look like shiz, just throw it away and get a new one. I keep all of my toiletries that could leak in a separate zip-lock as I can take it into the shower if need be. In this bag is travel sized shampoo and conditioner that I take from hotels, face wash, eye make-up remover, etc..
- More Toiletries: Cotton swabs and more! But I’m calling these out specifically because I use the snack-size zip-lock bags and they work perfectly for these items.
So there it is folks, my overall gym bag essentials. What do you pack in your gym bag?